Why are craftsman homes so popular and downright adorable

on

In this part of North Carolina, a story and a half craftsman home with this large front porch is as common as wings on a butterfly. Why are craftsman homes so popular and downright adorble? Well just look at the character.

Craftsman homes are beefy and give the feeling of safe at home. They have hefty columns, large entryways, and comfy front porches. This comes with our traditional Moravian star and two chandeliers. Moravian stars are popular year round in this part of NC. Many of us including me are descendants of the Moravians who settled this area in the 1700’s. Old Salem, NC is a living museum showcasing that religion and culture.

This home is located in the Piedmont of North Carolina in a very upscale neighborhood. I like that they have left the driveway and sidewalk in a natural pebble material. A carriage house is hidden on the back of the property casting back to the day when alleyways kept the stinky cars where they belonged while folks visited on the front porch.

My grandmother’s home looked exactly like this. It is so cozy and if like hers—has built in bookshelves and extensive moldings. I may knock on this door at sometime and beg to feature an inside story. Wouldn’t you like that?

I’m sure those row of windows in the dormer have been recently added but they only add to the charm don’t you think? Looks like a lot of living goes on in this home. I hope to meet the owners one day. What would you tell them?

Click on the photos and use your zoom feature to see the details.

1. Ken says:

I love this style of house.

2. Ken says:

I wish houses were still built this way. The trees and the yard really bring out the beauty of the house. I love the walk way up to the front porch.

3. Anna, I would like that. I love those Airplane bungalows which is what they’re called here in Oklahoma. I almost bought one once. Thanks for showing this one to all of us.~~Dee

4. Michelle says:

Oh how I would LOVE to live in a house in a neighborhood like this!!!

5. Donna says:

Anna I think they are so popular because they are born of craftsmen…the days when we put our pride and work into something…with all the craftsmen in NC I would suspect that would be one reason and of course who wouldn’t want something this special as a home…I agree the charm is simple with the pebble walk and driveway and the windows add light inside and out… definitely knock on that dorr…you never know!!

6. Leena says:

Craftsman homes are my absolute favorite architectural style! They have so much character, both inside and out and seem to have a magical way of adding beauty to a garden. For some reason, this style home and flowers just naturally go together! I would love to see the inside – wonder if it’s been left in its authentic state? Thank you for this great post – I’ll be looking forward to more! ~Leena~

7. Ewa says:

Really beautiful home. Big trees, nice understory and the pebble you mentioned… adorable. Everything looks in place.