‘Firethorn’ pyracantha revisited cause I want one

on

‘Firethorn’ pyracantha revisited cause I want one! I’ve posted this before and sulked about having to leave it behind when I moved. Took me a long time to train this . I hope to get another one this spring.

So much winter interest and all the little birds would come to eat the berries.

My grand dog ate some berries once and I called poison control in a real panic. They laughed and said she would get real happy in a minute. She did act goofy for awhile cause of the fermented fruit. Then she slept a long time.

Winter is perhaps its finest moment and especially with a backdrop of snow.

Do you have a ‘Firethorn’ pyracantha.

1. nellie says:

What a nice tribute to this particular pyracantha. I keep planning to get one but just haven’t gotten around to it and am sorry every winter.
    nellie

2. Hi Anna,
    I enjoyed your lovely photos of pyracantha. Seems like this is a plant that is frequently overlooked (maybe due to the spines!)… I planted a beauty at my brother’s house in eastern WA state, which is “irrigated desert.” The pyracantha loved all the reflected heat off their brick wall. There had been some damage to the brick so this plant did a great job hiding it, and providing good forage for birds.

3. Hi Anna! What a beauty! I would be sad to leave something so lovely behind too. I hope you do get another one this spring. I do not grow this stunning vine.

4. p3chandan says:

Such lovely red berries framing your front door, too bad you have to leave it behind. Hope your new home will get an equally beautiful plant. Isn’t it a bit dangerous for kids too just in case they love the red berries too much and pop them in their mouths?

5. Garden Sense says:

Such a beautiful specimen of Pyracantha! The unconventional form and those spectacular berries make an eye catching frame for the porch.

6. I don’t have one, but yours is beautiful (or your former pyracantha is beautiful, and I’m sure your future one is, too).

7. I had a pyracantha once, but it was just a bit too marginal for where I put it, and it only lasted two years. I might try another one in a more sheltered spot. And for sure you should have another one. (I’m a great enabler…)

1. Jodi, you are an enabler but I love ya for it. I will get one in the spring. They are expensive. A 3 gallon is gonna cost me about $30. Good thing they grow moderately fast.

1. Ivy Rutledge says:

Can you tell me where in NC I can buy one? I’m hoping to plant a few in a mixed hedge with privets.

1. Ivy, I know they have some at LA Reynolds Showcase Nursery in Winston Salem NC cause I saw them today. They were pretty big–like in 3 gallon containers. Where are you?

1. Ivy says:

I’m in Greensboro, I found some out at AB Seeds at the Farmer’s Market in Colfax, back in May. Now if they’d just hurry up and grow!

8. Ginny says:

I do have one! And I love it, as do the birds. It was loaded with berries until just a week or so ago and now there’s not a single one left. I did get some nice pictures in the snow we had after Christmas, though.

1. Ginny, I will come look for your photos of the pyracantha—and they are especially pretty against the snow. Did you notice drunk birds. They can become quite comical after gorging on the berries.

9. Susan Branch says:

Hi Anna! I may be at the wrong place, if I am, please ignore this, but if you know Sharon Lovejoy, I think she was telling me that you are looking for me? Hope so! Otherwise this will make no sense to you! Beautiful photos by the way, forgot what actual landscaping looks like, ours is all white and brown with occasional flashes of cardinal red!
    Anyway, now you know how to find me if this is you! All my best, Susan

1. Hi Susan—wow and double wow! Nice to have you drop by. I sent you an email to explain this whole Best Garden Blogs process. I can’t wait for us to talk. Thank you about my landscaping. I’m in my new home now and I really miss this little Cape Cod and all the stone that was there.

10. I can see why you want another one. The reddish orange berries are lovely.

1. Jennifer is was a real show piece across that front porch. It has pretty large thorns so keeping it clear of that banister was important. You had to be diligent but it was worth it.

11. Amy says:

I usually detest pyracantha because folks around here favor the gaudy orange one, usually trained against a wall, and they look very 70s and ugly to me. Yours was quite nice, though. I’ve never seen one trained against a porch before!

1. Amy–this variety has orange berries in the autumn which turn to red in winter. The orange looks pretty cool with pumpkins.

12. Becca says:

Oh how you must have ached to leave such a beauty behind…

1. Becca, I did not even look back when I left cause it was too sad. I pretty much raised my boys there so that made it even more difficult. So many memories. I do love my new home so much.

13. This is definitely on my plant wish-list!..

1. Rebecca–your chickens will get addicted to the berries. It will make them a bit tipsy and they will thank you for it. It’s got wicked thorns so be careful around kiddos.