I know how to kill lamium

I didn’t want to kill it. Confession: I know how to kill lamium and it’s easy. I had a very pretty patch of lamium which usually started blooming about right now. However, it croaked last season when I put pine needles in my beds. Has this happened to anyone else? It’s a mint so I assumed it was indestructible.

I looked back at a post last year and it was blooming on the 15th of January.

1. Uhoh! I have a similar lamium patch but I haven’t used pine needles for mulch before. Like you, I assumed that it was impossible to kill.

2. All I did was plant it and enjoy it. Very easy care here in this garden. It’s growing along a path out to the backyard. Spreads, but not too aggressively, so I can easily control it. This post describes my experience with Lamium: http://plantpostings.blogspot.com/2010/10/hardy-lamium.html. I’ll make a note about the pine needles.

3. I grow lamium under a white pine and the beds are filled with pine needles. The lamium thrives there. For a picture, see the second to last photo in this post: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/2010/12/01/keeping-the-shade-garden-going-in-late-fall/. It probably was not the needles that killed yours. I find that it waxes and wanes according to the weather that season. I hope yours is just waning and will come back. As far as Joey’s comment, without exception every time one of my customers says this, they are talking about Lamiastrum galeobdolon, yellow archangel, with yellow flowers. It has given lamium an undeservedly bad reputation. However, lamium is a ground cover and it is supposed to spread.

1. joey says:

Actually, it’s Silver Beacon (Lamium maculatum), Carolyn. The original planted over 20 years ago is not as aggressive as the pesty shoots that developed and reverted to the vigorous solid-green form that needs to be rogued out since very aggressive, hard to control, and choking out my precious wildflower garden … like precious lady slippers, etc.

1. You are the first to report this and maybe it’s because you have had it so long, Joey. some plants take quite a while to become aggressive. Thank you so much for coming back to answer this because I always wanted to know if lamium could be invasive. Sounds bad!

2. Jennifer says:

I hate this stuff. My neighbors on both side of me never keep it under control and I am constantly having to remove it from my shrub beds. Someone dumped yard waste in the small wooded park in our subdivision and now it is competing with english ivy and killing off native vegetation. Wish the pine needles would kill it but we don’t have many of those here in western washington. Hoped cedar, spruce, hemlock, fir and dog urine would do it but no luck. I am getting worn out trying to keep up with this.

Jennifer in Puyallup

1. Jennifer says:

This silver version is so aggressive that I rarely see the native version around here….in my neighborhood – purple deadnettle. Even slugs don’t eat it…

4. Linda says:

No… here is the problem that this flower grows me over the head!

5. Donna says:

I’ve almost drowned mine a couple of times by having it in too wet an area

6. joey says:

A huge pest in my life/garden … a beauty queen whose face never knows when to say goodbye. Enough I say and … rip, rip, rip … (30 yrs. chasing only makes her more more wilful).