Forgetting their names in pictures

Is it shameful to claim yourself as a garden writer and then you have no clue what the above rose is called? I have a file in my computer called Forgetting their name in pictures. I’m sure you all do though it may have a different name. I am of the belief that you don’t always have to know the name. In fact, these roses were growing in a local garden and they weren’t marked. Wish I had some just like them.

Because I plant a lot of hollyhocks, this one forgot to be labeled. I plant so many plants in the spring–like in the 100’s and I just don’t get it all labeled properly. Do you forgive me? I’ll do better this year–hopefully.

The hollyhock above came from Thompson and Morgan seeds and I have written about it using the correct name–but guess what—I can’t find that post. Ha! that happens too—imagine that–my memory has failed me.

Gosh–somebody really ought to know this torenia. Torenias do extremely well in my gardens. Love them.

Of course I know they are lantana and angelonia but I tend to rely on that too much. I like them all is the problem. I’m not really too picky about what lantana and what angelonia—-the important thing to me–they grow very well in my gardens. I do prefer certain propagator varieties and will always go for that brand. Brand does matter to me.

Lucky for me, I keep the tags—and when I am required to write for money—I do go and get the exact variety name. This is a veronica in my garden. Today—I just wanted to post photos—if you don’t know the specific name of a plant in your garden–but you know the family such as the veronica above—then go to google images—type in deep purple veronica–and see what you get. And so, I think this might be ‘Eveline’. I’m pretty sure it’s ‘Eveline’ or do you all think something else?

Have you googled your plants?

1. Cinj says:

lol Anna. That’s what makes us so much alike, I don’t keep my plants well labelled either. At least we can keep track if we really want to/need to though, right? I suppose I’ll have to forgive you, but just this once okay? 😉

2. Scott Weber says:

Nice post, one I think we can all relate to, from time to time! I’m generally pretty good at remembering the names of my plants (one of the benefits of a small garden, I suppose). The only times I’ve had to search for them is when I’ve bought plants at plant sales that are simply marked “Perennial Geranium” (very helpful, right!) Also, there are a few times when I’ve bought a certain plant, only to realize later it could NOT be what it said on the label. One example, I wanted a fine-leaved grass for my front border, so went to the Nursery (which will remain nameless) and picked out a Miscanthus ‘Morning Light’. Well, as the plant continued to grow, I realized it’s leaves were much broader and it’s habit not quite a “fountain-like”. After search and searching (why are there so many, practically identical species of Miscanthus anyway!) I’ve discovered it is most like ‘Malepartus’. One thing is for sure…the internet certainly makes such detective work faster!

3. I goggle plants constantly to find out their names, both common and botanical, and to get more information about them for my various catalogues and my blog. I have to say that despite what has been said lately about the quality of horticultural information, I always get good results. Maybe because I know what sources are reliable, and the plants I sell are somewhat obscure so the info mills don’t write about them. What I really need (and maybe you do too) is to enter all the thousands of plants in my garden into a database because my brain is not up to the task of remembering them anymore (and although they are all recorded somewhere that info is not easily accessed). I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good program for this.

4. Tina says:

don’t know if this helps but the roses look maybe like ‘Double Delight’ or ‘Brigadoon’. The lantana looks a lot like ‘Ann Marie. cheers, Tina

It’s been a long two years since I worked in a garden center. And after last years allergies…not being able to go outside all summer, names are flying from my brain like seeds on a dandilion.

I don’t know how to stop it, other then use it or lose it. Sad…..

Actually never been thrilled with those “snotty type” of gardeners, [you know what I mean] that can ramble off every single variety, every time…sigh. Just to name the plant correctly is sometimes enough for most of us.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

1. Jen, I’m sorry to hear about your allergies and you know I suffer too. It can really overwhelm us and make us less productive in the garden. It’s been a long time since I worked at the garden center too—and I’m finding that plant names are not so high on my priority list. I do buy them—enjoy them—and am obsessed with color all season—but it’s become such a chore to know all the new varieties. I just simply can’t.

6. oh, lawdy, all the time. I’m forever forgetting plant names, or else I’ve lost the labels…I wonder, though, do you have the veronica called Purpliscious? Because the photo here looks rather like that new cultivar. It only made it to Nova Scotia last year, so it’s probably been around in the US for several years already! As for hollyhocks…they’re all supposed to be yellow in my garden, and turn anything but. Amost as annoying as petunias…;-)

1. Jodi….I haven’t had a chance to go dig out the tag–but will let you know when I do. I buy my plants from a nursery who carries rare and new varieties–so perhaps this is the Purpliscious. It sounds cool. I had forgotten about your lack of yellow hollyhocks—that is too funny. Wonder if it is something in the soil that keeps them from turning? Just is really odd.

7. Donna says:

absolutely I have googled plants I lost tags for and because I move things and add things as the whim hits, it is hard to keep a diagram…oh well!!

1. Donna—even if I write it down—it still leaves my brain–a hazzard of growing older I suppose. I’m thinking of getting some of those metal plant sticks–but wondering if I want those all over the garden.

8. Debbie says:

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who googles her plants. I planted a clethra @ 15 years ago, when I was a newbie gardener, and I can’t decide which species it is. As soon as I think I’ve nailed it, I change my mind.

My mother-in-law, an avid gardener, used to call any plant whose correct name she didn’t know a euonymus. She’d say it with such conviction so you assumed she was right. It took me years to figure out she was teasing me!

1. Funny about your m-i-l Debbie. I’m almost ready to give up on knowing exacts all the time. I use to go nuts no knowing and be embarrassed about it–but now with so many new cultivars, hybrids, and varieties—it’s impossible. I move my plants a lot too so a diagram would be maddening. I’m just hopeless.

9. Diane Mumm says:

Anna, I use google images quite a bit, but still am searching for a daylily I purchased many years ago before I tagged my photos. I have a close match but the name is one I do not recall.
    Now I tag every plant or take a photo and tag the plant in this way.
    Driving me crazy not knowing! 🙂

1. Diane–I think we will always google—you and I plant so many varieties that missing a few is just gonna happen. I’m getting a bit paranoid about writing whole post about exact varieties just in case I get it wrong. It’s not going to stop me from buying them—-I just need to write about them sooner before my mind forgets.

10. I bery seldom google plants because I’m just not a varieties person – the red one or the blue one of the other red one will dofor me usually – except for ferns. Ferns I am fascinated by. I do google insects and spiders though – I like to know the exact species. Just the hairy one will not do. Nice pictures here.The torenia picture is wonderful- almost alien looking.

1. I don’t know a thing about ferns except they are all awesome and long as I have the size needed and color of green I need–it’s going home with me. They keep my porches and shady areas cool and soothing.

2. AYIMG–I’ve always been more interested in color than variety. I was happy to call it a lily but now that my garden is so large—knowing the exact variety is almost numbing. The tags alone take up volumes of space. I get a bit overwhelmed.