Who feeds the birds?

on

Lots of us who garden also like to feed the birds. They are just coming back to the feeders after their October and November feast from natural harvests. They were eating berries and seeds provided by our gardens and nature. Now they seek the feeders and the older ones stake their claim early. They will be the first back.

This is when I set up my tripod in the front kitchen window and try to catch a photo of the day. There is a beautiful Red Belly woodpecker who visits my nut feeder but he is so quick that I’ve not caught him yet–I will. I also have Downey and Red Headed which I’ve not been able to capture.

The doves are so easy. They will pose forever and so will the purple finches. The Carolina wren is fast but was so interested in the nuts that he didn’t care how long it took—he was going to get a nut.

My feeders are filled with assorted things. The finch feeder has thistle—the house has a mix of safflower and best blend by Wild Birds Unlimited–and there are peanuts in the cage feeder. I enjoy visiting blogs and seeing flowers but I just as much enjoy seeing the birds don’t you?

1. I forgot to say . . . if I were a bird, I would be very tempted by your well stocked feeders! Great pictures too! ;>)

1. Carol, you make me smile from inside out with knowing how wonderful it is to be nature in a nature lover’s yard. Love you for it.

2. Oh Yes Anna! I too love the birds as much as any bloom in my garden. Their colorful feathers and antics make the gardens more magical and I truly miss them just now. Our drought this summer stressed the roses so there are not many hips. The Crabapples are providing tons of little apples the birds love though. I just do not know where my little friends could be. Lovely post! Happy Winter Solstice to you!!

1. Happy Winter Solstice to you to–and I’ll be staying up to watch the lunar eclipse for I shall not be alive for the next one coming across the NC skies.

3. I love your bird pictures. Remember them from last year, too. The cardinals, I think. I am looking forward to lots of winter entertainment from you and your birds! I have ducks. They are slow and good for lots of entertainment, too!
    Merry Christmas.

1. Sweet Karen…I went looking for pictures of your new home last night—I was on FB and did see your ducks—too cute. I want to get by your blog to see more of your new farm. So happy for you–big hugs and Merry Christmas. J-i-n-g-l-e-b-e-l-l-s 🙂

4. Meredith says:

I know what you mean about some of those birds being fast — always a challenge to get a picture!

1. Meredith—I finally got that Red-bellied rascal today–only took me 5 hours of running to the camera before I caught him off guard.

5. Pretty photos of the birds! I wish you could see birds on my blog. I have not mastered the technique of “how to” yet. They are pretty quick. I will get them one day….:)
    I enjoyed looking at yours.

1. Amy–I sit for hours….and while I sit—I pray for my friends—and plan my gardens—and read my Birds and Blooms magazine—hoping the birds will linger and do something fantastical.

6. Joy says:

Anna they know where to dine that is for sure !
    I love the photos especially the Morning ? Dove .. I’m never sure how that one is spelled ? LOL
    Joy : )

1. Joy, last years the doves came in droves 😉 and hogged the feeders during their mating frenzy. I had to shoo them off so the other birds could eat.

7. Sunita says:

Lovely photos, Anna!
    I just can’t imagine a garden without its attendant birds. They’re so made for each other.

1. Sunita that is so right===a garden and birds are like peas and carrots. I would say pearl onions too as that is the Southern way of making that dish. I reckon I’m the onions in this mix. I can’t live without the birds either.

8. Kat says:

What a great collection of birds. I have to say I love doves. They don’t seem like the brightest of birds, but they do seem like the sweetest. I had a pair here for years and the way they would dote on each other was darling.

1. Kat–they really do seem like goofy characters. I have turned my feeders so that the support poles for the upper feeders is in their way. Quite comical to watch them try to figure out how to maneuver on to the deck of the open feeder. Their wings are too big and that was my plan. They take up all the room–so they will have to be content with eating on the ground.

What pretty birds! We don’t see doves or Carolina wrens. I’m like you, I love seeing the birds on blogs too. There are so many that we don’t see here that it’s fun to see pictures of them. Our little hummingbirds have been our most regular visitors.

1. We only have one variety of hummingbird here—I think it’s the Anna maybe. I do have a feeder for them and they do fight over it. All summer one character tries to claim the whole feeder and fights all day long to keep the others away.

10. tina says:

Those are some happy birds! Gorgeous photos.

1. You’ve got happy birds too Tina and I loved the bird cam you featured. I especially enjoyed watching their curiosity to it.