Kwanza Cherry Blooms

100_7168

100_7158I took these in my neighborhood today. The cherry trees have really put on a show this year.

100_7162

They look a bit like dianthus blooms don’t they?

100_7163The new leaves are bronze colored.

100_7169

This is last year’s post on Kwanza cherry trees. I can’t wait for it happen again! This is my favorite tree!

From Spring 2009—This was what I saw on my walk around the block today. It was glorious weather and the beauty was beyond belief. Wait till you see the tulips and dogwoods. Stay tuned. My neighborhood is about 30ish years old and many large specimens grow around the older homes. It will just take your breath away. My neighbors are wonderful and they really do take care of their landscaping. I can’t wait to show you more.

The Kwanza cherry has double pink flowers and a vase-shaped form with a rounded crown that spreads with age, making the tree wider than it is tall at maturity .The new leaves are bronze colored, turning to dark green, then yellow, orange, or copper in fall. This is a fruitless cultivar. The tree prefers a site with full sun, loose, well drained soil with plenty of moisture. It is somewhat tolerant of alkaline soil and drought but is sensitive to pollution and stresses in general. Grows to 30′ to 40′.

**See Anna’s Garden Makeover and how she makes her garden bloom! Bloom Mix

1. tina says:

They are big bouquets of happiness.

Oh those flowers are gorgeous! It must be nice to have so many neighbors that enjoy taking care of their yard.
    I’ve lived all over the country with our military moves and this is a treat. It’s good to be back home in NC and extra special to be part of this community. I’ve always felt connected to NC and never at home anywhere else.

3. These are so pretty. What a great neighborhood you chose, looking forward to seeing more!
    We almost built in another place that was pretty too–but this is so me and the people are exceptional.

4. What a treat to see these!
    It’s amazing and once you see one–you want several if you have room don’t you think? They make pretty landscape trees too and I think make a pretty focal point. I put mine in the back of the lot.

5. Marnie says:

Like a tree of pink carnations. I’ve never seen one in person. I would certainly love to.
    Marnie
    It’s very magical to stand under one of them. I can hardly believe it is real because it is so awesome.

6. Wanita says:

What beautiful pictures, Anna. I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring blooms here in Minnesota.

May you and your family have a blessed Easter.

7. I’ve never seen a cherry tree in person, do they smell as wonderful as they look? You are so lucky to have them blooming here at Easter; hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday!
    Happy Easter to you as well. No, no smell unless my poor allergy nose isn’t working and that is entirely possible.

I DO love those cherry trees! Great shots Anna.
    Thank you and before it’s all said and done…..I’ll have quite a few.

9. Cathy says:

So Beautiful.
    Hard to imagine that it is real.

Interested.
    Absolutely!

Just beautiful! Those blooms are so pretty far away and then when you see them up close………….Just beautiful!! I am so interesting in your neighbors flowers now….
    My neighbors are yard lovers. We are all glad to get outside and enjoy the weather. I can’t wait to show you more. It’s so pretty right now.

Beautiful, what huge blooms. Cherries are one of the great things about Spring. I can see why the Japanese take them so seriously.
    They are trees with an attitude. No one else does it better and they know it. We have perfect weather for them in NC. I noticed that my little Kwanza is going to bloom this week. I guess it’s behind since it was at a nursery.

13. cindee says:

Wow, gorgeous blooms! What a wonderful thing to see!!! My crabapple tree should be blooming soon! I can’t wait!!!(-:
    I want a crabless crabapple. I had one at my former home. Seems like it was called firecracker or some such thing. I’ll have to look that up. All of these cherries are awesome. It’s the best Spring color.