Red Geraniums blooming in December and Superwoman

on

I can’t believe it’s December 1st and I’ve got geraniums blooming. I’ve also got gaillardia, ‘Snow Princess’ alyssum, daisies, ‘Quick Fire’ hydrangeas, pansies, verbena, ‘Diamond Frost’ euphorbia and a few others. This Saturday should take care of that as the first snowfall is expected. I ask Mr. D to surprise me with some good hot chocolate–I like surprises.

I am working hard on the new blog, Decorate A Garden.  Our new home is looking comfy. I can’t wait to show it to you. It is still looking like Spring before I can get it done. I spent all day today just learning page color gradients.

That means taking a background color and making it go from light to dark from any point on the page. I placed a jpeg over that and adjusted the weight of the jpeg so it would load faster. And…that took all day—for one page. I probably would be done by now if I wasn’t trying to make it so pretty or if I wasn’t such an idea person. It almost drives me nuts.

Every now and then I take a break from designing and make categories. Since I’m moving blog post one by one from this blog—I’ve decided to made a category just for hydrangeas–just for the new house—, and be more specific and do sub categories which means inventory as you go. Very time consuming but a wealth of information for school children and those looking for pictures which is my goal.

Kathy at Cold Climate Gardening gave me an excellent idea for my new garden clothing line which will come along some time in 2010-11. I was asking how I should display the clothes on my new blog–and she came up with a brilliant idea—now you’ll just have to stay tuned to find out.  I’ve known Kathy for quite awhile now. I’ve nicknamed her Superwoman. She can do most anything from cooking to website design.

She’s one of the first garden bloggers–EVER– but she’s so much more too. She is a genuine person and a joy to talk with. She’s perhaps the most helpful person I’ve ever met and has a very large family of equally smart children. When she doesn’t know an answer to something about the garden, cooking, the computer, or life–she’ll turn to one of her children and they’ll know right away—it’s just amazing how much she adds to our blog world on a daily basis and you probably don’t know it.

Please do stop by her blog and visit one of her many topics. See what books she has recommended or what plants she’s talking about today. I love everything about her. I’ve never seen her when she wasn’t wearing her Superwoman cape!

1. Kaarina says:

gardening clothes!! how cool… when is this all happening?

2. Ha! I thought you were joking when you said you wrote about my cape. But I’m with Dee: you’re the one who’s Superwoman. I thank you for your kind words.

3. I’ll see your geraniums and raise you two zones! LOL. I posted my blooming geraniums yesterday, too. Amazing, isn’t it? They predicted snow for today, but thankfully, it didn’t materialize. It’s cold though. Brrrr!

4. I’m really looking forward to seeing the end product after reading about all your hard work. But as they say, you get out of it what you put into it. I expect it will be just as vibrant as its creator.

5. Kathleen says:

Hi Anna. I just caught up on your posts since Thanksgiving and wow, what a lot of changes in store for you and us. It will all be so interesting to follow. You have always been amazing at tinkering with the look of your blog and changing things so it’s no surprise to me that you could design something from scratch. The clothing line sounds intriguing. Hurry up spring & good luck getting it all going!
    Oh, totally envious of all your December blooms too. It’s so hard to fathom when everything’s been brown here for two solid months.

6. nancybond says:

I’m so excited for your new blog, Anna. 🙂 Your geranium is very festive!

You have much more patience than me 🙂 I bet your blog is looking really good. I actually was just on Kathy’s blog last night. I had read she had one of the first garden blogs . Pretty great that your friends with her.

Beautiful geranium….I know you are up to something wonderful!!

This is all very exciting Anna! Can’t wait to see what you’ve created! gail

10. cindee says:

I knew something was going on since I had not heard from you. I hope you are having fun working on your new blog(-: Its cold here and nothing happening in the garden so I am doing inside stuff. Next week our internet service will change so I will be out of touch for a bit until I get that all set up. I hate that thought but thats life. Have a great week!!!

11. Anna, I look forward to all of your new endeavors, and geraniums are one of my very favorites. Martha Washington’s stop me in my tracks (though they may be pelargoniums, I can never remember which). Everything is crisp and frosty here in Northern Cal.

Happy Holidays,

Kathy

12. joey says:

Lovely geraniums, Anna. Actually, our neighbor still has his pink ones on his front porch (looks odd with multi-colored Christmas lights). Good luck on all your many projects (several years ago, talked to my niece, a graduate in fashion design, about doing a garden clothing line … anxious to see yours). December hugs!

13. You, my dear, are my idea of SUPERWOMAN!! All that talent in one itty-bitty lady!

14. Good luck on your new blog Anna. Can’t wait to see more of your comfy cottage and the new clothing line. I think, maybe, you are super woman. You never sleep.~~Dee

Good luck with your new webpage. It will be fun to see how you set it up–lots of hard work to move each and every post.

16. Randy says:

Anna,
    Beautiful geranium especially for December. Your new blog sounds exciting and a garden clothing line might be a good idea. I put my knee onto a rotting Black Walnut while digging up hellebores while wearing nearly new blue jeans, not I have the biggest black stain on my new gardening jeans. Working hard in the garden seems to really trash my jeans, and knee pads are just to bothersome.

17. Les says:

Good luck with your blog, I look forward to seeing the new baby. I know what it is like to obsess over something as simple as a color, trying to get it right and before you know it – the day is gone. Kathy’s blog was one of the first I began visiting and her directory put me in touch with many blogs. Have a great day!

18. Sylvia (England) says:

Anna, we welcomed December with a frost – the first of the winter. I think this year is going to be a lot milder than last year but at a cost, lots of rain. Apparently November was the wettest since 1951, it has rained most days. My garden is saturated and the weekends have been very wet, so the garden is neglected. I really must get out and cut the dahlias down, now they have had a frost and put a mulch on them or I can have the fun of choosing some new ones next year. As I type this I realised that some came through last cold, cold winter without a mulch! Glad you couldn’t resist another post!

Best wishes Sylvia (England)