Learning to use Gimp to enhance blogging

on

Card Invitation Bee

How many of you use GIMP? It’s an image manipulation program–free. Very similar to photoshop. Be prepared to launch on a huge learning curve and take the time to read the manual that comes with the program. But once you grasp the basics, you can create some fun projects for your blog. You’ll be able to save the images as jpegs and make clever headers for your blog. I’m already working on January’s snowflakes. The above image is just a sample that I might use as an invitation series for my cards.

When making a header for my blog, sometimes I use my own images and other times—like with this current harvest theme for October and November—I purchased a clipart kit. You can look on my sidebar for Karla Donacher clip art and get your own. I purchased the CSS upgrade for wordpress so I can match the header to the theme colors. I also increased the header size. I could do a lot more with the background but then it would load slower than a snail. My blog already loads a bit slower than is recommended cause of all my images. But ya’ll do like those images!

So just wanted to share this with you and let you have fun too. Free is good right?

1. Heather says:

Dang Anna, You’re pretty darn techy! I always learn the good stuff from you! Thanks for sharing it.

2. Urban Green says:

really liked the invitation. let me try GIMP and tell you how it worked. thanks..!

3. Miss Daisy says:

Cool! I’m glad you shared about it. I’m going to go check it out. Photoshop is so outrageously expensive, that anything free that is anywhere near comparable is a treat! Thanks for sharing.

You are so good with this stuff, Anna. For me it is such a chore – and my blog really needs primping. Can I hire you? (kidding, but you probably could make a career of it)

Free is in my price range for sure. Everyone, other than me, it seems, plays with their photos and their blogs…..I really need to get with it!

6. james says:

hi, Just drop by from Blotanical.
    Something to experiment and learn new things.
    thanks for sharing.

7. Robin says:

Free is definitely good! I’ve heard of gimp, but haven’t tried it. Picasa has been so easy to edit pictures and load to Blogger. I love what you did with the invitation though, so I might have to look into it this winter while I’m in hibernation!

8. Lola says:

I haven’t a clue as to what you are talking about. lol I’m computer challenged big time. Barely know how to get into mail box.

9. Betty Eshenour says:

Hey, Anna, gimp is something we used to use to make bracelets out of in VBS when I was a kid! LOL! You can tell I’m computer challenged, huh? Sounds all Greek to me! Love the new Fall look and that “Black Pearl” plant is beautiful! Those berries or peppers(whatever!)look almost fake. I bet that will be a popular plant next year. Is it PW? If I was fortunate enough to work at that nursery, I’d never take a pay check home and I’d have to hire a gardener! Their nursery is above the TOP! No wonder you enjoy working (and playing)there. Bet their greenhousess are full of pointsettias growing now. Have you ever been to Longwood Gardens, in Kennett Square, Pa? Christmas time is breathtaking there! It is near Wilmington, Delaware. A trip worth taking. While you are there, you have to visit the Winterthur Mansion and Gardens. Their gift shop is to die for! The Wyett museum is nearby too, so you must visit there. Example: Artist Andrew Wyett..(hope I have spelled the surname correctly)His children and grandchildren are also artist/painters too.

I had read about Gimp before, but I haven’t tried it. I love how the invitation turned out. And yes we like all your pictures 🙂

11. Sweet Bay says:

I hadn’t heard of GIMP before, I’ll have to check it out!

Sure like the photo of the bee on the blossom in the linen texture image.

13. You’re such a techie! I am grateful if I can just get a post out with a couple of pictures. I am sure I am going to be hopelessly left behind!!! You inspire, but I dont’ want to perspire! Learning something new is such hard work! Ha!

14. meghan says:

yes, free is good! i always like looking at the images on your blog. they have made me really want to add several new things to my garden…or what i would like to someday be a garden! 🙂