Coreopsis ‘Redshift’ Big BangTM PPAF

North Creek Nursery Coreopsis_Redshift

While talking with the folks at North Creek Nursery this past week, I looked down to see a beautiful coreopsis with the most unusual coloring. I interrupted our conversation to ask about it.

When I got home, I called the nice folks at North Creek and ask if they would send me a high quality digital image of this plant so you can see each stage of the flower color change. ( Do not use this photo. Contact North Creek if you want one.)

In Spring or early summer, the flower is yellow with the red center. As the season changes to cooler temps, the flower turns red. Really remarkable when all the colors are present. It’s an eye catcher for certain.

Coreopsis ‘Redshift’ Big BangTM PPAF can not be purchased directly from this grower so you need to tell your favorite nursery to carry them.

Darrell Probst is the breeder.

Height and spread about 30″

Full sun with a fast growth

Attracts butterflies

drought tolerant

cold hardy but it didn’t say how cold

Part of a series called, Big Bang

1. Hello Anna;

Congratulations on your Blotanical 2009 awards and thanks for your kind words to me. I’m happy to see some of Darrell Probst’s new coreopsis featured. I know him from his work with epimediums nicely pictured on The Epimedium Page for those who haven’t seen it yet. http://home.earthlink.net/~darrellpro/

I’ll wait for a bit before offering these new coreopsis at our nursery as I need to hear more about their hardiness. We are zone 4a and the way the weather has been changing over the past three years, I think it’s better to wait. Even Moonbeam, seen as quite hardy, planted in great quantity, “left” us a couple years back. A recent road construction project that involved a roundabout was just planted and they used about 100 Moonbeam so I’ll have to good opportunity to see how the latest generation does.

Thanks again for a great site and smiles and happiness for your much deserved awards!

George Africa
    The Vermont Gardener
    Vermont Flower Farm

2. Joanne says:

Hi Congratulations on your blotanical awards and thanks for visiting my blog

3. Anna, you have a wonderful blog and it’s no wonder you won this fantastic Best Blog Design award. Congratulations, girl! Your banner is really nice. Love it.

4. Congratulations! I’m so proud of you. It was delightful meeting you recently at GWA, and I look forward to speaking more with you in the future. Meanwhile, keep up the good work… and enjoy the start to your fall. Teresa O’Connor

5. Cherry says:

Congratulations on your Blotanical win Miss Anna !!!

What a great looking coreopsis, has a cosmos look to it!!

That is great – love the colours.

8. Robin says:

I love that color combination!

9. Gooorrgeous!!! My favorite colors all blending together. I never tire of flowers.

10. How beautiful that coreopsis is — I can see why it caught your eye!
    It’s new to me and caught my eye better than any other plant at the show. But maybe it’s cause all the coreopsis did well in my gardens this year. I am on the look out for them. There are more in this Big Bang series and they are all pretty.

I thought I had seen that Coreopsis, glad Cameron commented before me. AHA! Sure is a nice looking one, I really like coreopsis. The color variation is such a bonus.
    There are so many cultivars out there but this is new to me and I look forward to growing it. I can see that Cameron has trialed it and so glad she gave us the good report. We can trust her word.

12. I have four large plants growing in my butterfly garden. These were planted in late June and are doing great, having bloomed non-stop without deadheading. I am very impressed so far and have high hopes that these will overwinter here with no problems. I should write about mine on my blog to show the combination that I used with it. These are taller (knee high), but I’ve not had problems with drooping.

Cameron
    PS I am conducting a trial of 4 other coreopsis for a plant breeder to see if they overwinter. Redshift is not in my trial (I bought RS) and is from a different grower.
    Thank you so much Cameron. I look forward to purchasing this plant. It really is pretty. All the coreopsis in my gardens did well this year. I didn’t know if it was because of the cooler summer or all those organic amendments from last Autumn that were added to the beds. This is becoming one of my favorite flowers.