There is a buzz in the world of gardening.

Garden Writer's Symposium 2009 Raleigh NC vendors

Wait till you see what the propagators and merchants have in store for you in 2010. I’m in on the buzz about gardening. I’m in the know and I’m going to share so you can be in the know too. It’s going to take me two weeks to post about all the good stuff and get the stories to you. I promise to make you the most prepared you’ve ever been for 2010. I mean why wait for us to grow the new plants and then post about them next year–right?. Don’t you want to know now?

2009 Garden Writer's Symposium Raleigh NCSince Wednesday, I’ve been working the floor of the Raleigh Convention Center here in NC. We garden writers attend workshops during part of the day and in the afternoons we meet with propagators, nurserymen, product owners, lawn and garden amendment companies, and the list goes on. Our job as garden writers is to equip you with the new and most exciting things on the market today. I take that seriously. I’ve spent hours this week just getting to know these folks and hauling plants and information packets back to my room.

The packets contain catalogs and discs about their product. Often, we get new plant cultivars to test in our garden or they give us goodies like tote bags, hand cream, lip balm, visors, and plenty more logo reminding items. I’m going to share it all with you over the coming weeks. It may be one of the best years I’ve seen in gardening.

These companies want your business and they need you to get excited about gardening. I’m excited for you. I saw huge blooms, tall strong stems, and colors like you’ve never seen before. I’m telling you now so you can go ask for them at your local garden center. They need to know you want some of this stuff. Did you know if you don’t tell them—they might not know they exist. That’s right—don’t assume your local big box or local nursery will carry some of the varieties I’m going to share with you.

Nurseries get in a rut and they want to offer tried and true varieties. This means they stick with what is safe. If you want your local nursery to be on the cutting edge then you must get active in the process. You need to say—–Hey!, I saw this cool plant on flowergardengirl’s blog and I want it. In today’s competitive world—some of this new product technology is going to waste. I think it’s cause you just didn’t know it was out there. I mean if you never tried chocolate or never saw it then how would you know to ask for it—-and all this time you could of been a chocoholic like me.

You will not be disapointed in the next series of post from the 2010 Garden Writer’s Symposium.  I’ll be back soon. I am reading your comments but I’ve been working hard for you and I’m truly exhausted. It’s massive amounts of info to digest in such a short time. I do have the high quality images of the new plants to share with you but I also need to upload the information on the company behind the product.

I also would like to tell a story on each item so you’ll get to know the breeder or designer. That’s actually my favorite part. It’s intoxicating to listen to these stores. It will restore your excitement about gardening.

Raleigh NC convention center

Got your interest peaked? It ain’t no ordinary year! Have you noticed a trend taking us back to the local garden center? I sure have. See ya real soon. Coming at you live from Raleigh, North Carolina. Good night! I’m off to bed.

1. teza says:

Being from Canada, it usually means that we wait an additional year for new product but I am piqued about one new ‘collection’ of plants in particular…. I hope you will have some news on the new ‘Daniel J Hinkley Exclusive’ line of rare and exciting perennials through Monrovia growers. Looking forward to the follow up post

2. marydelle says:

I look forward to your update. I’m never quite sure what new thing to try in the garden or ask for at my garden center. With your effort, I will. Thanks.
    I’ll be showcasing quite a few that are new to me and some I’ve tried. I will always be honest if I’ve tried it or not—but doesn’t mean we can’t look and drool huh? And you know–sometimes I’ll buy a plant just because it performs well for one season. If it is a real work horse in my garden then I don’t mind paying up to $5 for one season. How about you?

3. teresa says:

Looking forward to hearing about the products. We are always looking for new and exciting things here at Garden Shoes Online. I will stay tuned. Thanks
    This was my first year at the GWA Symposium and I was overwhelmed with what’s new on the market. They can really do some crazy stuff with color these days. I saw the most beautiful coreopsis ever. Looking forward to sharing the varieties.

You’ve never let us down before! Thanks, Anna…gail
    Awwww, thank you.

5. Jane says:

I can’t wait to hear what you have to tell us. I’m excited already but maybe that’s just because I’ve been looking at a bulb catalogue for next Spring. Could I have Spring fever already??
    I sometimes think it’s more fun to plan than when it’s all said and done. I would have to say that I lose about 1/4 of what I plant each year either cause of wrong conditions for the plant or some bug/disease. They bloom their season and then don’t come back but I can always count on my PW annuals. I work my annuals hard and they keep the pace.

6. Heather says:

Can’t wait to see what you found!
    I found a lot of cool stuff!

7. daricia says:

wow i wish i had known about this! i’m only a couple of hours away. where will it be next year? can anyone attend, or only members?
    A small number of bloggers attend but we all belong to the Garden Writer’s of America. You have to fill out a form and be evaluated for approval. Vendors attend as do garden photographers. Next year it’s in Dallas, TX and it’s going to be so grand. Not sure I’ll make it but am hopeful.

1. daricia says:

ah well…maybe one of these days. i’m just getting started blogging, really. it sounds wonderful, though.

8. Great post. Its great to see that the industry is doing well.

Thanks

MyCityLandscapers.com
    Just heard this week that home sales are up which means more landscaping–woo hoo. Wishing you the best season yet!

How fun! I wish I could sneak in there and see what’s going on now. I bet you are having a great time and I can’t wait to hear about the newest happenings in the world of gardening!
    It was busy, busy, busy and the vendors were well educated on their product. It was hard to pick and choose who you were going to listen too. They were all good.

10. Anna, Thanks for the sharp pics from the convention floor! Looking forward to all the details from you. You make an excellent point that we need to let our garden centers know we’re interested in the NEW.
    Oh please do! It would help them so much. We forget they need feedback and support. I’ve got lots of details that will fill this blog for weeks–which I intend to do once I get over being tired. So much stuff to look at—it’s unreal what’s out there in gardening right now.

11. Sandy B says:

How wonderful it must be to be where you are — surrounded by gardens, gardeners, gardening magazines, gardening tools, etc etc etc. I especially think it would be uplifting as it’s raining lightly where I am and the temperatures are beginning to fall. I’ve got a cold nose here and am thinking I should put my slippers on. But, spring will come again! In the meantime, I’ll enjoy autumn and spend my downtime this winter dreaming of what I’ll plant next spring.
    Oh yes, did you put your slippers on? Don’t catch a fever. I’m going to brighten up the days ahead with postings about the new cultivars and varieties on the market schedule for 2010. So remarkable this year.

12. Dave says:

You’ve got me curious! I’m looking forward to those new things that are down the road!
    It will be hard to get something new on you! You usually know everything–but I’ll try.

13. You Go, Girl!
    Will refuel and get busy posting.

Looking forward to reading all about it! What a treat to listen to the information and talk to these knowledgeble folks.
    It’s humbling. So many famous gardeners there and me the little time blogger. Was afraid to talk gardening with those folks who spouted latin names like they were born talking that way. Amazing.

I’m awake and on the edge of my seat.
    You won’t be dissapointed!

16. fairegarden says:

Yes, we are ready, Anna! And thanks for all your dedication to getting the word out. I will be talking to my favorite nursery owner, Ruth, about the plants that speak to me! 🙂
    Frances
    So glad to hear that as you will do them great justice if they get to grow in your yard.

17. I wish I could have attended this year. I am looking forward to reading your posts. Thank you for taking the time to update us.
    It was so fun and wish you could have been there. I suppose you’ll make it to Dallas right? They already started working on the tours and such–we got a sneak peak tonight—just beautiful.

18. Anna, I can’t wait to read your next post, you have got my curosity stirred up!
    You’ll have to tune in daily as there is no way all those photos would upload on one post. I would fry your computer. Stay tuned cause it’s going to be fun.

Wake up Anna! I want to know more!!!
    Went back tonight to attend the award’s banquet and drove home in the worst downpour ever. We need the rain but it made traffic crawl to about 35mph on the interstate. Took me 3 hours to do a 2 hour drive. Worth it though!

This is so exciting Anna – and looks like you are having a good time.
    I need a brain transplant at the moment. I wore this one out.