Writing a goodbye letter to your perennials

on

Flower gardens 2009

Dear Perennials,

I hope you remembered to write a will and leave me everything. I know you aren’t long to this world. I can promise that most of you will be back next year. Look around and say goodbye to the annuals as they don’t have enough genetic information to bloom again another season. They talk the talk but don’t walk the walk.

annual vinca

When you come back next year, could you increase in numbers? I’d like to get to know you better. I promise to prepare good foods for you and make your bed soft so you can stretch out your feet comfortably. In fact, you never thanked us for giving you a good home.

New Mulch 2008

Some of you were caught asexually breeding with a different kind. I can accept that if you prove to be compatible. I am not however interested in supporting an offspring that is going to run amuck.

Some of you were a real treat to watch and some of you were a pain. I’m laying down new rules next year. You’ll have to grow more spread apart and stop sharing fungus feet and bed bugs. I’m fed up with such shenanigans. Next year you’ll grow where I tell you to grow!

Annual Blue Salvia and Coreopsis

You’ll get more grooming next year. I’m not putting up with those of you who swayed around in haphazard attire. If you can’t keep yourselves looking neat and tidy then I’m going to do it for you.

It’s your time to rest up and store energy for next season’s big show. I expect you to eat and drink while on vacation. No JUNK FOOD! If I see you are eating junk food then I’m going to cut you off and make you take your vitamins.

fall nov 08

Autumn 2008

Winter 2008

Thanks so much for all you did and we’ll get back together in the Spring.

Spring 2009

Big hugs,

Flowergardengirl

1. Betty Eshenou says:

I was down at Home Depot the other evening and went to their garden shop looking for a house plant, and they had bins, upon bins, filled with packages of Spring and Summer bulbs. Over the next few weeks, I bet most or all of them will be sold.

2. Betty Eshenou says:

Loved your letter to your perennials..Although I love the beauty they give us over the Spring and Summer, I’m ready for a vacation from all the deadheading, watering, and weeding until early next Spring. As soon as the new year sets in, the flower/plant catalogs flood the mailbox. That’s a good thing, it gives us time to look at them at our leisure, to plan, and to decide if we want to order through the mail or just make a list to buy locally. Mums are the only flowers that I bother with in the Fall, and although I have some planted that comes back each year, I’d just soon buy a few new pots each year because mums multiply quickly. If you want more plants for the next year, they are so easy to grow more from cuttings. I’m ready for a rest from the gardens, although I don’t like the long winters.

3. steiderstudios :

If they won’t listen to you, let me know I’ll come talk to them.

4. Jules :
    Great post and beautiful pictures. I am sorry to see them start to fade away too but it will give me something to look forward to.

Thank you and I look forward to seeing at least one snow fall this winter. I know the leaves are going to fall but we don’t always get snow.

5. Racquel :
    Is it that time already? Say it isn’t so! Fun post, sorry I haven’t been around lately to comment. Don’t know what happened. I’m loving your new look & the header is great!

No worries as I’m certainly behind on reading. You’ll always be one of my favorites so we’ll just catch up when we can.

6. meghan :
    oh i am so sad to think about saying goodbye! i’m never ready to see summer come to an end, but ready or not….it will. i love this post. fall is coming.

Thank you and I love Autumn so I don’t mind one bit. I like winter clothes better than summer. Maybe if I lost 20lbs, I’d like summer better.

7. jeff-nhn :
    Very catchy title. Loved the blog and have never really thought of the dormancy process and ensuing cold and snowy weather that way. Again, very clever!

How fun to see you stopped by! I use to teach biology and it’s hard for me not to look at plants without thinking life cycle.

8. Les :
    If they listen to you, let me know.

I sure will and I’ll mail you out a copy of the book too.

9. Sandy B :
    I absolutely love your goodbye letter to the perennials. So funny!
    Do you mind if I write something similar?

I don’t mind one bit. It was fun to write and more fun to read the responses.

10. Les says:

If they listen to you, let me know.

11. jeff-nhn says:

12. meghan says:

13. Racquel says:

Is it that time already? Say it isn’t so! 🙂 Fun post, sorry I haven’t been around lately to comment. Don’t know what happened. I’m loving your new look & the header is great!

14. Sandy B says:

I absolutely love your goodbye letter to the perennials. So funny!

Do you mind if I write something similar?

15. Jules says:

16. Fun post! You started my day with a smile, thanks!! Now I’ll head out & use your example as a pep talk for my beauties!!

17. Delightful! And informative! I had no idea that flowers do all that! Oh, I’m a pitiful flower garden novice.