Fall plantings are actually Spring plantings

Spring Bulb Container

Fall plantings are actually Spring plantings. If you want your containers to have Spring bulbs then you gotta think about that right now. This container is nicely displayed at the Bob Timberlake Gallery in Lexington, NC.

The euphorbia and heuchera is pretty planted in the Autumn and if you live in a milder climate it will last through the winter. I’m in zone 7 and both below are pretty year round unless it gets really cold–then the heuchera dies back but returns in early Spring.

Euphorbia and Heuchera

Euphorbia (Wood Spurge) Helena’s Blush
Heuchera (Coral Bells)
Peach Melba

Here are a few ideas for you on what to plant for Autumn. These are all from the Proven Winners site.

Autumn Container Arrangement
Graceful Grasses:
Toffee Twist
Euphorbia ‘Despina’
Heuchera (Coral Bells)
Dolce® Peach Melba
Heliotropium (Heliotrope) ‘Nagano’

Autumn Container Arrangement

Carex (Toffee Twist Sedge) Heuchera
(Coral Bells) ‘Amber Waves’
Osteospermum Peach Symphony

Autumn Container Arrangement

Euphorbia (Wood Spurge) Efanthia
Heuchera (Coral Bells) ‘Amber Waves’
Carex (Toffee Twist Sedge)
Lamiastrum (Dead Nettle) Hermann’s Pride
Osteospermum Melon Symphony
Carex (Toffee Twist Sedge)
Heuchera (Coral Bells) ‘Amber Waves’
Osteospermum Peach Symphony
Euphorbia (Wood Spurge) Efanthia
Heuchera (Coral Bells) ‘Amber Waves’
Carex (Toffee Twist Sedge)
Lamiastrum (Dead Nettle) Hermann’s Pride
Osteospermum Melon Symphony

Hope you all enjoyed that as much as me! Now get busy planning those Autumn in to Spring arrangements.

1. f1laila says:

hi
    oh i just love ur pics ,,,what a decorative pots ,,,i just love it,wanna ask u how u maintain this multiple plants in container because i have not done anythin such .hope u will helpp me out
    thanks

1. Thank you and maintaining plants in containers is very hard. I start out with a soil and manure mix allied Daddy Pete’s. I get it at LA Reynolds Showcase Nursery. It’s the only potting mix use. To that I add Osmocote 6 month slow release fertilizer and work it in the top layer. Finally I add some water crystals for our hot NC summers. I educate the owner on when to water. Water only when the plant is dry about two inches from the top. Don’t let the plant stand in water. Have good drainage. Make sure there are holes in the bottom of the post and put a few rocks over the holes to keep them from getting clogged.

2. atiredwife says:

I love the tulip picture .. the bird’s nest is adorable!!!!

I need to make an investment in a few good containers and then have fun with decorating them! I am going to have to replace all the tulips I planted last fall~~the squirrels have dug most up and snacked on them! … I see that PW is showcasing Toffee Twist; it’s my current favorite~~It adds a bit of different to the green garden all summer long. gail

4. Jules says:

I really like your blog. I was just looking at tulip bulbs this week. At Sams you can get 100 bulbs for $14. I’m really tempted but most people around here have a hard time getting their tulips to repeat bloom. I’m also in Zone 7.

5. Anna, I have not been here for a while, and I really like the way your blog is looking, very attractive and easy to read with great pictures.

Thanks for the timely reminder, I have spent the day choosing my tulips for next spring.
    K

6. Kathleen says:

Those are gorgeous fall containers Anna. Every year I say I want to do seasonal containers then never follow thru. There’s so much decorating inside to do that I never get to the outside after it frosts. Thanks for the inspiration tho.

7. I wish I could have these over the winter. Owen Sound is buried in the snow all winter. I kid you not, the snow comes up to my waist(and that is the unshoveled part). Where you have shoveled the banks are over my head. I wouldn’t see these planters again until March! But, it is a very good, warm, fluffy blanket for my plants. They overwinter better here then my garden in Toronto, despite it being colder, due to their snow duvet.

8. that was truly inspirational!! now to get going….

I like using ornamental grasses and sedges in containers.

Dang you make me want to run to the nursery right now! I have 4 Grasses in my grill some of the ones you have posted. I wonder if they will continue throughtout the fall and winter here? These containers are very nicely put together!! Thanks for sharing…