Blooms Worthy of Praise, Limelight Hydrangea

101_0038
Can you believe that in a few short years, I’m going to have a 7′ tall shrub covered in these enormous blooms? Right now it’s just a baby but look at how it is performing. I am both stunned and amazed at how one bush can bloom its heart out. This is a focal point in my yard. Limelight sits at the front right corner of my porch. I can admire it from my swing and watch people’s response to it as they drive by. I might say that I’m just a bit proud.

These are photos from today in my garden. Look at my hand in comparison to the size of these blooms.

101_0044

And here is a short video from today’s photos. I so much enjoy studying the intricate details of the inside and out of any bloom. Don’t forget to photograph what you don’t see as it can be just as interesting.

From the Proven Winners Site

‘Limelight’

Genus:
Hydrangea paniculata

Common Name:
Hardy Hydrangea

An exciting hardy Hydrangea from Holland, ‘Limelight’ has unique bright chartreuse blooms in mid-summer that hold bright and refreshing color right into autumn when the blooms change color to a rich deep pink. The autumn display of chartreuse and pink blooms on the same plant is breathtaking! The color makes a great addition to the garden and it blends wonderfully with all other colors. Use ‘Limelight’, either fresh or dried, in bouquets to make a unique floral design. This is an easy to grow plant with reliable flowering and flower color regardless of soil pH. The flower heads are of good size, ranging from 6 to 12 inches and are held upright on the shrub. The blooms are well distributed making a very nice plant and display.

Consumer Comments:
This Hydrangea is a show stopper: right now, first four months in the ground, full, full sun, lots of fresh air, it is blooming like mad: big, fat beautiful creamy, to bright white elongated blooms. They are sturdy blooms, and take a good wind. They don’t collapse. It has doubled in size since April, and I’m looking forward to all the color changes it will go through. The shape of the plant is graceful and strong. It’s a garden high-light. The Limelight I planted last year is equally fantastic, and it’s in part shade. Last year the blooms got so big and the color changes were so amazing to see, you couldn’t believe all that beauty on one plant. Because of that one plant, I went out and got three more.

A great looking plant! PLENTY of flowers and it tripled in size the first year we put it in the garden. We went out and bought three more.
Barry, MI

Features
Reliable, soft green summer flowers change to pink in fall. Great for cuts. Adaptable plant will flower every year. Soil pH does not affect bloom color.

• Cut Flower
• Dried Flower
• Drought Tolerant *
• Fall Interest
• Landscape Plant

*Even drought tolerant annual and perennial plants will need water for the first few weeks while they get established. Shrubs and trees will need to be watered for the first year after they are planted. After this, little or no supplemental water will be necessary when planted in the ground. No plant is truly drought tolerant in a container; water is necessary for all plants in containers.

Ornamental Characteristics
Flower Color
Green

Foliage Color
Green

Height
72-96″ (Tall)

Spacing
72-80″

Habit
Upright

Container Plant Style
Thriller – Used either in the back or middle of a container. Usually a taller item that adds height and drama to the container.

Patent Information
‘Limelight’ US PP12,874; Can. PBR 2319

Plant Needs
Duration
Shrub

Bloom Time
Late Summer to Fall

Hardiness Zone(s)
Hardy in zones 3 – 9

Hardy Temp
-40°F (-40�C)

Exposure
Plant in sun or partial shade

Water Needs
Dry to Normal

Maintenance
Moderate

Uses
Landscapes

Good in groupings and masses, in perennial and shrub borders, as a speciment, screen, or hedge. Good in containers, mixed containers, and as a cut flower.
Growing Tips
Prefers good, loamy soil. Most adaptable of all hydrangeas to different soil types. Most urban tolerant and very difficult to kill. Best if pruned in late fall or early spring. Blooms on new wood. Make sure to prune off spent flowers when they turn brown. Prefers medium moisture, not as water dependent as Hydrangea macrophylla. Will tolerate drought. Deciduous shrub. Fertilize in early spring by applying a slow release fertilizer specialized for trees and shrubs. Follow the label for the recommended rate of application.

1. Rosemary says:

I have two Lime lights, 2 & 3 years old, and they have been beautiful. We live in n.w. Ga. and these have proven to be perfect for this area. One gets much more sun, but both have hugh blooms.
    They have been beautiful with my yellow & red day lilies. I’m gettiing a couple more this fall…..
    Isn’t that Limelight so grand and the blooms last forever too. I bet they are pretty with our lilies.

2. Jan says:

I wanted to plant Limelight in my garden last year but didn’t get around to doing so. After seeing yours, I am just going to have to plant one soon.

Jan
    Always Growing
    Oh I bet it would do awesomely in your area. And you could use some white ;), no–just kidding–you don’t need a thing but need is not on a gardener’s mind when they see blooms like this–right?

3. Kathi says:

Good Morning Anna!

I have missed you terribly, I can’t believe it’s July 23rd already! Everything is so beautiful at your bloggie home! You have been so busy. I’ve found myself enjoying the outside this summer as it’s been so beautiful here in MN :). I keep you close to my heart and in my prayers! I hope all is well with you and I look forward to catching up this morning!

Much love,
    Kathi 🙂
    Missed you too. Oh, thank you and hope your enjoyed your visit in my garden. You are always in my heart.

4. Oh yes, Anna, a fave of mine too. And new to me – mine are only 2 years old. I first fell in love with them in Julia Kornegay’s garden in Raleigh. Julia is the Head of the Hort college at NCSU. Also her garden will be on the Raleigh area Garden Conservancy’s Open Days tour September 19/20.

Thanks for sharing.

H.
    Yes Helen, I just saw yours and it is covered in blooms–just lots bigger than mine. I’m going over to Grumpy Gardener in a bit to see your article. I got a glimpse last night and sure want to link and go back to see more.

5. Anna,
    Excellent information on this variety of hydrangea. I know that I can plant it in LA but only in protected shade areas. It’s too hot here! The color is beautiful.
    Shirley
    Shirley it was in the 100’s here many a day last year and although it wilted a bit and needed watering more often—it did suvive and it had just been planted. Now 100 is not normal for NC–that was an awful drought. I see you are experiencing that this year. So sorry.

I agree that the dark background on your blog now really shows off these photos nicely. That is some bloom for such a young plant!
    It’s sure crazy for only a year or two old that is for certain. Imagine a 7ft version.

7. joey says:

It’s a beauty for sure, Anna! I adore hydrangeas … do you have an Oakleaf (my favorite).
    I don’t have Oakleaf–can you believe it. I’m going to fix that though and maybe as soon as this Autumn. Hope you are having fun at the lake.

I’m not keen on Hydrangeas but that is a lovely colour.

Cards on the way this weekend Anna. Sorry for delay.
    You don’t owe me any cards as I still have some you sent initially. However–I’m working on your cards this week 😉

It is beautiful! Such a pretty color and the flowers are huge.
    I love it—I’m going to get more!

10. Heather says:

Very pretty and I can’t believe how big the bloom is already! I can’t wait to see it in the next year!
    If John Deere doesn’t destroy it—we’ll be in business. I had to mark my little hydrangeas with flags this winter as MrD thought they were dead with no leaves and they were tiny. We’ll be safe when they are about 4 feet tall.

He once pulled a Burning Bush out of the ground in Winter cause it looked dead to him. He yanked and pulled–moaned and groaned—but it finally came out. Lord help me!

11. gail says:

I am so liking the way your blog looks…It showcases the Limelight H beautifully! gail
    Thank you as I stay continually worried about the look as you know. I have no idea why I’m so obsessed with it. Well, I do know—I like change and geek tweeking is something that is necessary for me to live.

12. myenglishcountrygarden says:

I adore greenry-yallery.This is a prime example. Hmm…seems to me it is calling to be added to the Get This Soon List 😉
    I’ve actually added it to my—get more of them list.

13. Karen Johnson says:

You have the right to be a proud “mother”. That plant is a stunner!
    It will grow in VA and give you pretty bloomers too. You can brag to all your Maui friends who have nothing but pitiful flowers to look at 😉

really really pretty!!
    I was debating on its jaw dropping qualities.

15. Rob(ourfrenchgarden) says:

Anna what a stunner. The fact that the blooms continue ’til the autumn and then age to pink!

Great plant, I’ve no doubt it’ll warrant another post later on.

I’ll keep a look out for it over here.

Rob
    Nope–not going to show its Autumn color. 🙂 Just stay away from my blog in Sept. and Oct. and you should miss it.

16. Randy says:

Like I ALWAYS say, I’ll be glad when we have more shade so we can grow some of these beauties.
    Well it shouldn’t be long at the rate you guys are going. Goodness–no one gets faster results than you two soil moving macho machines.

This is a must have on my “must have” list. Beautiful display!
    It should be a law that everyone has one.