A Few Volunteers

NasturtiumsJust a few volunteers from last year.

Rudbekia

Don’t you love it when they like your garden so much they return for a second year?

nasturtiumscoreopsis

Love this coreopsis!

coreopsisI love all the faces in the garden. I added a lot of orange to my gardens for the new house. It hasn’t always been that way. I always thought orange clashed with my pinks and purples. But now, I love them all. I’m looking forward to these multiplying over the next few years.

1. fairegarden says:

Hi Anna, your blog is looking great! Those are some wonderful volunteers too, there does seem to be a theme to them, with the sunny colors and daisy forms. That rudbeckia? is fabulous. Our volunteers like the gravel paths best. 🙂
    Frances
    Gravel paths–too funny. I don’t much care where they grow these days. I’ve about decided to let volunteers take over. I bet my rudbekias do take over.

2. Kathleen says:

YES!! I love a self sown seedling/flower. Saves me the trouble! lol Not that I mind tho. and Anna, you change your blog around more than anyone I know. It’s always a surprise what it will look like! If you ever get tired, come play with mine!
    Oh, I’m glad you like to come and check it out. I do have fun changing stuff up. Don’t come in the dark or you might stub your toe trying to find the door. That’s what MrD says about the furniture I keep moving.

3. Jan says:

I, too, love it when flowers return year after year. Sometimes they come back in places where they look better than where I planted them. I used to feel the same way about the color orange, but suddenly, I have found that orange is starting to show up in my back garden without my realizing it. It was only this spring that I noticed how many orange-flowered plants I had interspersed there and how good it looked.

Jan
    Always Growing
    I’m going to stick with orange as I don’t see too many folks that have any. It’s certainly different and shows up grandly. I might start dressing in more orange too.

You’ve been working on your blog again..Looks clean and crisp, I like it. That’s the last farm you posted about in your header isn’t it? I think I see bunny houses!! I too love volunteer plants. Your plants always look so healthy. Between extreme heat and excessive rain my plants are not performing as well this year. It has my attention on what really works in my gardens and what does not..
    Your garden looks great! My maters are doing awful. Not sure why as it has enough good soil. It’s always a guessing game with plants. My containers have stayed too wet. I sure wish I could get a grip on those containers. Seems like since I moved in this new house—my pots are not happy.

5. Hi Anna

Is that a Nasturtium ‘Alaska’ variety?

Nice yellows!

I like your blog header by the way.

Rob
    Yes it is! Good on you. I couldn’t get them to grow well in the pots they occupied last year but they seem to have volunteered nicely this season.

6. Phillip says:

I really like the way Nasturtiums grow, especially on an awkward bank. Such a lovely bright splash of colour.
    They would look good in mass on a bank. I will never get over how they grew in my yard in North Dakota. It was awesome.

I can’t think of any orange beside nasturtiums in my garden, although I do like it. I think I thought it would clash too. A lady working in a nursery said there’s no such thing as clashing, all the colors are part of nature. That’s kind of changed my attitude about colors being by each other in the garden.
    I’ve been told that a million times but the color coordinator in me wouldn’t let it happen till now. I would have made a pot up of them for sure–but not just randomly in my yard like it is now. I do like it.

8. Cinj says:

I’ve always loved orange, such a pretty color. I don’t worry much about flowers clashing but I try to keep them so they at least bloom at different times or something. I got some more coreopsis this year to add to the new garden beds.
    I use to be strictly a pink and purple person–but then I fell in love with rudbekias and coreopsis. Love how my coreopsis is growing wild amongst all my other flowers. It’s such a wild thing.

I hope your tomato gets better. I hope it’s not the blight.

9. cindee says:

I love volunteers! I look forward to seeing something come back(-: Its the thrill of gardening!!!!
    I’m hoping to have a lot of volunteers next year! It is the thrill of gardening.

I hope all my readers go over and take a look at your creations. You are about the most talented person blogging. Love your new mushrooms and what you did with the broken glass.

10. Robin says:

I’m definitely warming to orange too. I especially love the ‘Bright Lights’ cosmos.
    I don’t have the name of all the new coreopsis I purchased caused I can’t find the tags. But…don’t you think there are a lot of new oranges in quite a few varieties? I like the Bright Lights cosmos too.

Your dragonfly pictures are remarkable!

11. mothernaturesgarden says:

I love it when plants self-sow. They are particularly acclimated to your environment and perform better each year.
    Donna
    I had a whole bunch of nasturtiums when we lived in North Dakota–craziest thing I’ve ever seen. There were tons of them and they grew to huge sizes. I guess they liked those 20 hours of sunshine.

I see you had a clearwing in your garden this week too. That just says summer to me.

12. greenwalks says:

I’m a big fan of volunteers too. I used to be allergic to orange but not it just makes me smile. I wish nasturiums would volunteer here, but I have to keep planting them. Calendulas come back, though, and also sunflowers. And a coreopsis popped up this year for the first time, from down the street! Love it.
    Oh yea, I do love those that the neighbors share unknowingly. I hope I send some their way too.