Annie’s Vegetable and Herb Garden

100_8789Annie Baggett has a beautiful lavender farm in Hillsborough, North Carolina. I visited there this past Saturday for their 2009 open house. Annie had a dream that she would own a farm like this one day and she has made that dream a reality. The Sunshine Lavender Farm is making a positive difference in their community with organic practices and a give back attitude.

Annie has a back door garden that beckons you to come inside the gate and explore what might be served for supper.

100_8788

There is a bright sunny face on the garden gate that gives a warm invitation to come inside.

100_8822Everywhere you look there is something good to eat. Just look at those colorful poles she uses for her vining plants.

100_8824

Being inside the garden sheds light on Annie’s love of organic wholesome living. The scents inside the picket garden are just as grand as those in her lavender field. A little path leads from the front gate to the rear gate. It’s all very charming.

100_8830This fabulous back screened porch looks out over the picket garden. So much charm and personality is featured in this area. I would love to drink a glass of her lavender lemonde while enjoying Annie’s company on this cute little back porch. Wouldn’t you?

100_8823She has a rain barrel and look at her flagstone patio. Most folks forgot to look in this little area but not me! I was learning to appreciate Annie from her back steps. Her farm is wonderful from the long drive up the road to the back pastures where the horses grazed all day. But this little garden got the most of my attention. It held Annie’s heart and was the soul of the farm.

100_8818

And as I closed the back gate of the picket garden, the little shovel knocker gave a friendly clanking shout to have a nice day. Thank you for having us Annie. I had a wonderful day!

Sunshine Lavender Farm

My First Post on The Sunshine Lavender Farm

Annie was a guest on Cameron’s Blog, Defining Your Home Garden, and wrote about how to grow lavender. See it HERE

Helen at Gardening With Confidence met me at Annie’s Sunshine Lavender Farm and she wrote about it HERE

1. what a lovely garden. those colorful poles are so cute. i want to have one in my garden.

I can hardly wait to see what adventures Bilbo get to experience with you!
    He’s going to be so welcome and I’ll spoil him to death.

3. Matron says:

Now that just looks like the perfect vegetable garden to me! I love the old trowell on the gate!
    That’s a cute knocker isn’t it? Annie had quite a few little things that caught your eye.

4. Cathy says:

Love the garden it’s so charming, and you take great photos Anna!
    Thank you, I would love to have a new camera. Maybe for Christmas!

5. A beautiful garden. Love that arbor and rustic fence. Reminded me of home. Thanks for taking us along to visit.~~Dee
    My pleasure and it was the kind of day gardeners live for.

6. Roberta says:

I love the quilts on the clothesline. beautiful backdrop!
    xo Roberta
    Annie’s garden and Sunshine Lavender Farm have that welcome feel that is the gift of a true gardener.

7. Hey Anna,

Yes, it was a sweet garden…makes me want to go back and sit with you a spell on the blanket eating lavender ice cream. H.
    I stayed for a long time that day. I enjoyed everyone being so happy and involved in Annie’s farm. I would love to go back with you. I’ll bring the fried chicken.

8. Jan says:

Thanks for the tour of such a wonderful garden. I would love to have a fenced off area just like that. Oh, and that little back porch – so cute.

Jan
    Always Growing
    It is the dream of most gardeners. There is just something about a picket fence garden that makes everyone want to bake and nest!

9. Wow…..what a great place, so charming! I love everything about it! Jane Austen has notified me of a certain visitor that will be coming to your place soon…….if the rumors are true….please be sure to notify me when they arrive so I can link my post to you 😉
    Yes, I was thrilled to find out that Bilbo will be coming to NC to meet our famous BBQ pig and have a looksie around my garden. He’s going from Jane’s elaborate surrounds to the heart of Dixie. He’ll be dining on fried chicken and drinking sweet tea. I am honored to be a part of this whole fun adventure.

How charming!
    Agreed and wish you could have been there with us. It was your kind of thing.

11. Phillip says:

I’d love to have a spot for a vegetable garden like this but I’d have to sacrifice flowers. I like those squiggly support things she uses.
    Aren’t those support post marvelous. She’s a clever woman and had many touches that made the space interesting.

12. Kathi says:

Good Morning Dear Friend!

How beautiful are your pictures, you know lavender is one of my loves 🙂 Your bloggie home is ever changing 🙂 Thinking of you with warm thoughts!

Hugs,
    Kathi 🙂
    Hugs to you too. Yes, you are the lavender blog and love your name that describes you so well.

13. Brooke says:

Oh Anna! You know this is right up my alley. I love the fence, I have big plans for pickets around my kitchen garden too!
    I bet you do! Yes this is so you and will fit the style of your home perfectly. I can see you having a picket fence garden. I would like to have one and decorate around the outside much as you have done around your front porch. I can see a bird bath and some stones placed here and there. Can’t you?

14. cindee says:

What a lovely place. I love the flagstone patio too! The gate knocker is perfect! I would love one too!
    I knew this little garden would touch you as it has me. The flagstone gives it a cottage personality. Annie has beautiful rock work on her chimney and front porch post. She is a fabulous decorator. Maybe she will let me visit the inside of her sometime.

15. Phillip says:

I have a thing about gates and fences. This is obviously such a beautiful place, built with love and understanding.
    And you are one I was thinking of when taking these photos. I knew you would love the gates. Annie has made it a most warm place to grow herbs and vegetables. There is a lot of love there.

16. great pictures–so cheerful. I’m enjoying your blog changes, too. Keep up the good work–very entertaining!
    Aloha, Karen
    Always glad to see you come by. I do change things often. I do it at home too. My stuff is exchangeable from room to room. One day it might be in the family room and the next in the bedroom. It’s loads of fun.

wow Anna, you have been busy changing your site again! The herb garden looks like a nice place to visit. Love the garden gate. Also like the look of your blog.
    I had fooled with the other CSS to the point it loaded like a constipated snail. I had to gear it back up. I’m glad you like it and hope it did load more quickly.

I loved this lavender farm. Did you see that Annie just stopped by the first post about her farm? She’s so genuine.