My Containers May 2009

on

100_8386

This is some of my containers and they are just starting to bloom. I waited longer this year to plant them because last year they became root bound way before the season ended. The one above is Dragon Wing Begonia, Sweet Potato Vine, and a Non-stop Begonia.

100_8399

Below is Stratosphere White Gaura by PW, Non-stop Begonia, and fuchsia. The gaura will shade the fuchsia and begonia as it grows. My porch gets filtered light most of the day.

100_8389

100_8390

The above has a geranium, Diamond Frost Euphorbia, and Scaveola( Wand Flower). 100_8400

PW says I can’t tell you what is in these yet ;)!

And below is the view from my front porch swing. Except–that little red truck is gone. My oldest left to go back home to VA a few mintues ago— boo hiss.

100_8402

Ok, I’ll quit bombarding you with post for today.

1. Melanie says:

Hi Anna,

I love that Diamond Frost Euphorbia. I haven’t gotten it yet this year, better get me some before they run out!!!

By the way, I hardly recognized you with your beautiful new hairdo!!
    Yes, that is the new me–now I’m on a diet. I do love Diamond Frost. it’s a work horse in the garden.

So glad your plant business is doing well. I knew it would.

2. Kathleen says:

Your containers are beautiful Anna. I hardly ever get to try filtered light or shade containers because most of mine get full sun. I can’t wait to hear what’s in your “secret” PW containers! btw, I found the perfect spot for the sundial I won from you ~ I posted a pic on my blog today if you’d like to look. It looks so great there! 🙂
    Oh yes, I’ll be right over. I do have good filtered light which will grow anything and most of my beds are in morning sun. Thank you

If I had a porch that comfy I’d probably be too relaxed to ever get any gardening done. The containers are super – you’ve got some nice combos there. I’m a big fan of sweet potato vine and I love the way you’ve used it.
    I have some more pots too but they aren’t ready to show yet. Thank you and I do enjoy my porches. I have known all my life that I wanted them. And…sometimes it does cause you to sit too long.

4. mothernaturesgarden says:

I love your outdoor rug. It goes perfectly with the stonework.

Donna
    How fun that you noticed. I do plan on recovering the cushions. I have a cute or elegant sage green hen pattern that I wish to use. And I’ll match it with some check fabric and a cabbage rose or two. That may have to happen in the Autumn. It’s too hot right now to do anything but sit still.

5. Joy says:

Hey Anna !
    I love your containers girl : )
    I did mainly herbs this year .. they can take a beating in the terracotta containers when they get a bit dry they won’t mind it so much. I’m really curious to see what you have in the secret pot from PW ! .. I love new plants : )
    The mystery of it all–ahhhh.

I don’t grow herbs cause I don’t use them in cooking. They do look pretty though and are especially attractive in terra cotta pots. I do love to grow rosemary and put it by the door where folks will brush it as they go by. I love the scent.

6. hi Anna

Isn’t Scaevola just a perfect annual. I overwintered some this last year (admittedly it was something of a job of work to get them through) and they’re starting off quite trailing which I love.

I like your sweet potato vine

Rob
    Thank you and yes, I always use Scaevola. I can never spell it correctly but I like it. It’s always pretty with Diamond Frost Euphorbia.

7. Phillip says:

Looking magnificent Anna, especially that first one, for me, and I like your taste in containers.
    Thank you and as they grow in they’ll look even better.

8. Deb says:

Hey thanks for the skeeter machine info. I will get one tomorrow.
    I instantly loved it. I don’t like spreading all that gunk all over me so this is perfect. For the rest of you it’s called ThermaCell. It’s about the size of a large walkie talkie. It works by heating up a little pad that clears the skeeters within 15 feet. It’s got a small butane cartridge inside that fuels the cell. No batteries! Kinda starts like a gas grill with the clicker thingy.

Your containers are lovely. PW has me crossed eyed trying to see those plants!
    Intriguing isn’t it?

10. Robin says:

I’m not doing too many container planting this year. With so much going on right now that is just one less thing for me to worry about taking care of.
    I’ll just have to enjoy yours.
    I didn’t do as many as usual. I was afraid we would have another very hot summer which just killed my pots last year. So far–it has been more wet than usual. Thank you.

11. cindeesgarden says:

Very Pretty(-: I am still waiting on my seedlings to grow(-: LOL
    1/3 my seedlings made it and I got at least a few out of most of the packages. I doubt I’ll do it again next year. With Copper Top hopefully finished, I’ll be able to save more plants from this year.

12. nancybond says:

It looks lovely, Anna — wish I were close enough to share a cup of tea on that lovely porch swing!
    And we would chat the day away I’m sure. I would love it!