Wiegela Wine and Roses

Weigelawineandroses

The burgundy leafed plant in this combo is Wiegela Wine and Roses by Proven Winners and the combination is made from the following flowers: Gaura Stratosphere Pink Picotee , Phlox Intensia White, Petunia Supertunia Cotton Candy, And Wiegela Wine and Roses. This a full sun arrangement and the Wine and Roses and Gaura are perennials in my zone 7 garden.

I am growing Wine and Roses currently and love it. It survived the drought last year and leafed out early. No blooms yet but they are coming.

wineandroses

I wasn’t as pleased with My Monet. But this Wiegela is not picky or finicky. It is hardy to -30 degrees. 60 inches tall and wide. I have it planted in a spot that gets hot mid-day sun but shade the rest of the day. It does perfectly.

wineandroses2

I can promise that your Wine and Roses will look like this also as long as you give it the required growing conditions and plant it properly. I believe that Limelight hydrangeas are planted in the background of the above image. The images in this series are stock photos from Proven Winners Plants used with permission. I don’t work for Proven Winners—just a long time fan and they send me plants to trial in the Spring. If I like them, I tell you so and if I don’t–such as the My Monet–I tell you that too. I tried My Monet twice and it dried up on me both times. It was planted close to the Wine and Roses. I feel Wine and Roses is a heartier cultivar.

Wine and Roses

Wine and Roses is at the bottom of this photo and surrounded by Diamond Frost Euphorbia. Wine and Roses is deer resistant too. I have lots of deer and they did not touch a single branch. I can’t say it’s grand dog proof as she tries to eat the branches.

Growing Tips
Prefers well-drained soils but fairly adaptable to other soil types. It is best to prune immediately after flowering. Will flower sporadically on current season’s growth. Medium moisture. Fertilize in early spring by applying a slow release fertilizer specialized for trees and shrubs. Follow the label for the recommended rate of application.

Exposure
Full sun

Height
48-60″

Spacing
48-60″

Hardy Temp
-30°F (-34°C)

Uses
Shrub borders, grouping, masses, specimen plants, and containers.

Features
Rosy pink summer flowers often rebloom. Rich dark purple foliage all summer. Deer resistant. Attracts hummingbirds.

Awards Won
2001 – Gardener Selects
Penn State
– Silver Medal
Royal Boskoop Horticulture Society
– Gold Medal Plant
Pennsylvania Horticultural Society

You can see it growing in my garden HERE. You will have to enlarge the photo. It is growing to the left of my front porch. See it in the top left corner of the photo.

1. Cinj says:

I have wine and roses here. I was worried about it for a while since there weren’t any visible leaves, but it is starting to fill in now. What a relief! I can’t wait until it starts to bloom!

2. Kathleen says:

I’ve never had good luck with any weigela but I love the dark leaf coloring. I bought a black elderberry recently for that very same color. The container is fabulous! I would duplicate that in a second. Have fun puppy sitting Anna and Happy Mother’s Day to you!

3. Cathy says:

That’s great since I also have that variety of weiglia which is budding up right now.
    I want to wish you a Happy Mother’s Day!
    Thank you and Happy Mom’s Day back at cha. I don’t see buds on mine yet. But I’ve been so busy that maybe they snuck up on me.

4. linda says:

Maybe My Monet is happier a little further north. They seem to do well around here. I tried Wine and Roses, but it wasn’t happy in our mostly shady bed. Then I moved to a spot that got enough sun, but was too wet. It’s now an ex-shrub. ;( I’m going for the hydrangeas now! I see a lot of Wine & Roses. They do really well around here.
    I do think Monet works better in cooler temps. You gave Wine and Roses a lot of chances 😉

I love ‘Wine and Roses’. I like it with that euphorbia, and it also looks really nice with the hydrangea. I need more space, this is a shrub that I’ve wanted and have no room for.
    Awwww, and it wants to be in your garden so badly!

6. You are just so full of energy, Anna! I wish I could do it all, so to speak, as you seem to do!! I do love your photos, this one included…and all of the ideas that you talk about and post. I just made 2 container arrangements with planters that look almost like yours…I don’t know what keeps me from posting about all of my ‘stuff’…There is LOTS going on here; I need to get on the ball, like you;-) Your new ‘hair’ looks lovely…it’s YOU! We are just a year apart in age..You look lovely, my dear;-) Your home garden is lovely, too!!!
    I’m working on the hair. That is the real me in lots of make-up on my sidebar( the pic is a mock-up using my uploaded photo from one of those makeover sites. I’ll post the results when I get them where I want them) but after my cut and color–I’m not happy with it yet. I’ve got a re-color on the 19th of this month. Right now, I’m too blonde.

I don’t have too much energy as I’m not answering many of my visitors comments which bothers me. But I’m in the garden more and my garden loves it.

7. Heather says:

I must plant a pot that looks just like that. What a beauty and not so intimidating!
    Yes, add this to your ever growing list of projects and chicken tending. Your chicks are adorable.

8. Robin says:

I have two of them and I’ve observed that the hummingbirds like the flowers too! Mine have actually flowered in the autumn too.

I’m not very happy with the location where they are planted and need to move them. I just wonder how well they transplant.
    Flowered in the Autumn sounds grand. I haven’t transplanted one so not sure. It’s an expensive plant so I might not want to take the chance. Let me know what you do and how it turns out. I’m so curious about these things.

Love the planter combo……….and the wine and roses, gorgeous!
    I have to share these sorts of finds. I like the dark leaf contrast.

10. Joy says:

Hi Anna .. this is one I would like to have as well .. something about dark shrubs that fascinate me .. like the Ninebark.
    I still have my 3 “My Monet” as far as I can tell .. the two out front do very well .. the third is in the HOT sun bed and still seems to pull its weight ..
    So far my impression is not too shabby ? .. I wonder why yours isn’t up to snuff ?
    I am still perplexed with this “Satin Chocolate” ninebark mystery !
    I think your weather is lots less humidity and heat. It’s the 99+ temps and drought this past summer that did mine in. Not like NC to be that way but it’s what happened. It was in a cooler bed but still could not take it. Your Monet is beautiful and it’s the reason I got mine to begin with.

11. joey says:

A stunning container, Anna. At the lake catching up on all your fun posts … do hope your birthday was grand. Happy Mother’s Day!
    Thanks and I’m so behind it’s not even funny. I’m in the garden but would like to visit Michigan and those beautiful lake evenings. My very best to Nancy.

12. cindee says:

Very pretty. I have a weiglia but not sure what it is. It is pink though and i enjoy it when it blooms(-: Your gardens are going to be beautiful this year!!!!
    I’m working hard in the garden to hopefully help them be beautiful. Last year was more work than I’ve done in a garden. I think it’s paying off.

I love that first container and wine and roses is a lovely colour break. Glad it grows so well.
    So many choices these days that why waste your time on babysitting a sickly plant. so the Monet is out and the Wine and Roses is in.