Amethyst Falls Wisteria

100_7750

Amethyst Falls Wisteria is not the aggressive type that destroys trees and pergolas. It’s a first year flowering variety that grows up to 30 feet. It’s a somewhat fast grower. Wayside Gardens has it on their best seller list. I snapped these photos recently at The Briar Patch in Winston Salem NC. These plants have been growing there for about 5 years.

100_7732

It’s providing shade for the shade perennials.

100_7748

Its blooms last a very long time. I’ve seen it blooming for over a month.

100_7751

Give it something strong to grow on.

100_7729

Isn’t it beautiful. I did another POST on the world’s largest wisteria. Thanks to Les @ A Tidewater Gardener for helping my identify this variety.

**See Anna’s Garden Makeover and how she makes her garden bloom! Bloom Mix

1. Marianne says:

Hi,
    If found your blog looking for info on this wisteria. We bought one last year. We chose this variety because it already bloomed. I am very happy with it.
    Bye,
    Marianne
    The Netherlands

2. Genevieve says:

I had never seen this variety, but I love the little poofballs it forms. That’s really cute!

3. Les says:

Thanks for the shout out. It does have a fragrance, but it is not as nice as the Asian wisterias, it is almost a little funky. I found a source for Blue Chip last week and they are now sitting in the nursery ready for their new homes.
    Have a great week end!
    It would be worth a drive up your way to get Blue Chip!!!! Let me know how quickly they sell out.

It’s very pretty, I wish I had a place to grow one! Does it have a fragrance?
    You know, I thought it did but some say not. Maybe it was because I was standing in the middle of tons of other flowers that I thought so. I’ll go back and stick my nose right on it and find out.

5. Sheila says:

Very pretty and unusual!

Love wisteria, we have one that we keep pruned like a bush, it blooms for a long time and several times during the season. It stinks though!! It’s not fragrant like the wild ones.

7. kathi says:

Wisteria…sigh, I love the sight of it but have never seen it’s blooms in real life. Your pictures are stunning!

I am looking for the new proven winners lo & behold blue chip buddleia bush with no luck. I will keep looking as things are just getting started up here….

Have an awesome day!
    Kathi 🙂
    Kathi–I haven’t seen the Lo and Behold anywhere. It’s a shame because it’s so awesome. Thank you about my pictures.