Aphids on Gertrude

on

100_7579 Gertrude Jekyll is a new rose in my garden. I’ve heard conflicting reports about it but I’m game to give it a go. I seem to have the perfect conditions for it. My soil is well drained which is also a hard definition to track down. Everything needs well drained right? Is there a tag that says–works best in soggy poorly drained soil? I’ve added lots of leaf mulch, some Espoma Rose Tone, and some sand. The soil was originally the worst clay mess you’ve ever seen.100_7581

A few say Gertrude is finicky and won’t bloom very much and some say it gets leaf spot badly. We’ll just see. I have all the time in the world to pamper it. I’ll pull off the leaves affected and play it romantic music if need be.

100_7577

But, those aphids–insects from hades–have to be dealt with. I sprayed them with the garden hose this morning. They are bad early. I noticed them on my Knock-Outs too. For a few minutes, I enjoyed smashing them between my thumb and pointer finger. That got old fast–so I blasted them with the hose. They are going to be a real problem this year. I can already tell.

100_7571

It is such a pretty bloom. I’m going to cut a few tomorrow and put them on my entry table. They are suppose to smell wonderful. I’ll let you know.

1. janet says:

oh no! I will have to check on my roses too. Hard to believe aphids so early.
    Turns out I did have some liquid Dial soap and I sprayed those suckers. I’ll go back out in a bit and see if they survived–hope not. My Knock-Outs were covered in them. I really, really, dislike those bugs.

2. cindee says:

I am going to see the doctor today so I will find out what is going on with the lymph nodes. My asthma has taken a turn for the worse too so it could be all related. I am thinking ear infection. It sucks to get old! The good news is I took the day off so I could go do all that fun doctor stuff(-: This time of the year is a killer for me because of the allergies. I will let you know what the doc says about the lymph nodes.
    I’m over it but MrD has it now. He’s so dizzy and feels awful.

I hope you get something to give you some relief. I do know about those allergies and how aggravating that is.Sometimes I can take everything in the medicine cabnet and nothing works. How come it happens to us outdoor lovers? I’ve had my lymph nodes swell up like rocks but not be infected. It was cause there was so much pollen in the air that my resistance was in overdrive.

3. Laisseraller says:

Great Blog! & Photos! New blog on the Hx. of the
    Ladybug: http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/

4. I agree, the soapy water, but WOW, it is so pretty. I especially like the romantic music comment….lol. We have way too much in common you know? Good thing we can’t shop the garden stores together…lol. Great post….Brooke
    I was just over looking at your free Iris 😉 and other pretty bloomers. I’m especially interested in that planter up next to the house. We need a whole post on that pretty please.

I would love to go shopping with you and yes, we would be dangerous together. I just sprayed the aphids with the soapy water. I think I hear them croaking and drying up. I sure hope so.

5. Anna it’s a beauty.

Hermes is right, aphids don’t like soapy water.

If you could encourage more ladybirds (ladybugs) into the garden, they’d start dealing with them!

Good luck.

Rob
    I will see if I can purchase some ladybugs online. I am going to need a lot of them. I just sprayed with the soap and hopefully that will work. I’m going to cut a few and bring them in today. I just love it—really love it.

Its a lovely flower though Anna. Try mixing a weak soapy solution and spray them with that. The soap interferes with them somehow.
    I just did an thank you. I think it’s working. We are due for some thunderstorms later and I’ll go respray afterwards. I know the solution has to hit the bug and it’s not a preventive type thing. You just got to keep spraying when you see the bugs. I heard if you mix the soap really strong–you can kill japanese beatles with it. It dissolves their exoskeleton.

She is a beautiful rose! Those aphids are annoying aren’t they. A couple of years ago we bought ladybugs and they stayed on top of the aphids pretty well. I read that it’s the ladybug larvae that really eats the most aphids.
    I don’t know of anyone around here who sells them but you can order them online. And I don’t think they are too expensive. We do have ladybugs occurring naturally but I need a lot.

8. Heather says:

That really is a pretty rose. I am sure the romantic music will do the trick. I always makes my bugs and viruses go away. Let us know how it works!
    I hear aphids like rock and roll. Speaking of that—I love American Idol. Elvis, aka Adam, is so dog gone talented. I might get his CD when it comes out and you can bet I’ll be playing it while gardening.

9. cindee says:

Well I must confess I use systemic rose food. I know I am an evil person but I just can’t stand to see all my roses be eaten but bugs.
    I think I also have a virus. Swollen lymph nodes and achey neck/arms etc. Not barfy just don’t feel good. I might have to take a day off from work tomorrow if I don’t feel better. Bummer I know(-:
    No swine flu for me please!
    It was a weird virus. I had swollen lymph nodes earlier in the week so wonder if it was related. I sure slept a lot.

You aren’t bad for using systemic. I understand. I’m trying to go natural and rather enjoy squashing their soft bodies. I also love watching them fly off the bush with a spray of the hose.

10. Deb says:

They will die as soon as the lady bugs show up.
    I decided to do laundry today and clean the house. Which means I’m behind on reading blogs and picking aphids off the plants. Gesh–I hope you are right about the ladybugs having a feast. Somebody around here needs to eat good. I haven’t been cooking much. I had a virus yesterday. I don’t think it was Swine flu. I hope me and Gertrude don’t get that. The virus was a super bad headache and lots of sleeping. I’ve never slept so much.