Boldly Go The Azaleas

on

100_7311

Azaleas and the South are hand in hand. Azaleas come boldly in to Spring and chase the winter doldrums out of the way. They don’t just have a little attitude; I mean they are screaming that it’s Spring. Down right shouting is what I’d call it, wouldn’t you? This is what we kindly refer to as our,” outside voices’.

Have you ever told your kids to use their inside voice? Well Mother Nature has allowed the azalea to make a real show of herself. She has given permission for them to act in such a way that draws attention to them. She is encouraging them to act up and be noticed. Is that a proper way to be genteel and mannerly while growing on Southern soil? 100_7283

She acts like she owns Spring. Azaleas march around with their big and sassy self all puffed up. I’m kindly getting worked up just talking about it. If there was an azalea in front of me right now, I’d give her a stern talking to. I’ve got a good mind to go out there right now and let her have it.

100_7313

All my life it’s expected of us ladies to be quiet, move from room to room swishing our petticoats lightly, talk in hushed voices, and sup our tea with the pinky finger never to touch the teacup. And here are the azaleas ignoring every law of southern charm to be a Charlotte. Brazen hussy.

100_73011

Are you impressed with our Southern azalea’s way of taking over Spring?

1. I had fun with this post, too. And part of it was seeing some healthy azaleas with an exuberance they just don’t have in my area…

2. The answer to the question is Yes.

They’re really quite incredible.

They are beautiful and they sure do call attention to themselves! I love how practically the entire shrub is covered in flowers, barely an inch of green shows.

4. Cathy says:

It would be nice to have azaleas that looks as nice in your area down here in the mid-west. They really make the landscaping attractive.

Sighing! They don’t get big and bold in my garden…but I admire them in other gardens! I love the magenta pink flowers best…with an occasional white planting thrown in. gail

6. Tatyana says:

It’s certainly azalea time! Enjoyed your post, it made me smile – good way to start a day!

7. cindee says:

I have azaleas but they are not as big and bold as those ones are. I do enjoy them when they bloom. I actually have a couple that rebloom later in the season. I had a friend who had azaleas like those and they were so beautiful! I loved to go and visit her just to see the blooms!!

8. Kathi says:

You make me smile! Your azaleas are done blooming and ours haven’t even started yet!

Have a wonderful day Anna,
    Hugs,
    Kathi 🙂

9. Les says:

I love it too. They don’t say spring, they scream it. We have a lot of shed-sized So. Indicas planted around our old neighborhood and they should peak this weekend.

Oh heck, I say let them have their say!

11. Sylvia (England) says:

Anna, you made me chuckle – nearly spilt my coffee! The Azaleas are lovely here as well, I can see them from my office window. As you say bright, bold pinks and reads, soon the orange and yellows will join them. Followed by the reds and pinks of the larger Rhododendrons. The whole lot is ‘cooled’ by the haze of bluebells and the delicate pinks of the apple blossom.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

Lovely post. Azaleas are nearly impossible colours and as you say ‘brazen’ with it.

1. Betty says:

I know this sounds crazy but you rarely see azaleas blooming like that up north; it must be the sandy soil and warmer temperatures. I miss seeing them even after almost 50 yr. of being away from the South. Aren’t they beautiful?