When Plant Placement Says Wow

on

100_7290

When Heavenly Bamboo or Nandina is placed just right, the sun will create magic with the new growth. This was done perfectly and shows how light can add to your landscape. Before you plant a single shrub or flower, consider how it will look as the shadows and sun play across its presence.

It is toxic to cats if they eat the berries. Humans should not eat the berries either as it will make you very sick. It can be considered invasive because it grows fast and spreads.

NC State Hort info on the plant

1. cindee says:

They are pretty. My mom has one in her yard. I never planted any here for some reason. I do like plants that add color and shadows(-: Pretty picture!!!!
    They come in all shapes and sizes these days. I like the new dwarf varieties.

2. Cinj says:

Wow, they are very pretty. It’s amazing how many things are poisonous, isn’t it?

3. Garden tips says:

A great photo and a lovely plant (even if it is poisonous)
    That plant gets used everywhere around here and I never heard of anyone getting sick.

4. Cathy says:

Right you are, what a wonderful plant and looks really pretty in that photo.
    It was pretty amazing to see the sun light them up so perfectly.

5. Racquel says:

I didn’t realize this plant was toxic to cats & humans. I’ve never attempted to eat the berries, but the birds seem to enjoy them in the winter.
    A bird must have a cast iron stomach or it goes through so fast they don’t notice. I notice when it’s on my lawn furniture, windshield, steps, sidewalk–well –you get the point.

6. I don’t think my nandina poisoned any deer, but the ‘Moon Bay’ and ‘Alba’ were eaten. 😦 I was surprised to see the nandina eaten so voraciously. I’ve had to move the ‘Moon Bay’ around to see if I can protect them next winter. They look pitiful right now. I was able to protect the ‘Alba’ and they have already sprouted a foot of new growth from last fall’s deer banquet.
    Cameron
    They ate my neighbor’s little Firepower. Didn’t even leave it a leaf to generate new life. I guess last summer’s drought caused a lack of food for them. Maybe these cool days this Spring along with the perfectly timed rains while allow more food to grow that the deer normally eat.

Nothing can prepare us for the chomped remains of our plants. I feel bad for your Moon Bay.

It is poisonous but what a wonderful plant for the right spot and you are so right about the way the light enhances it.
    I was out looking for azaleas when I happened upon these. The light was perfect and my camera isn’t doing them justice. It was really a grand sight.

I have one of those and I love it! I see now I could certainly use more of it…Great photo.
    Take a cutting and root it. I have a dwarf variety out in my front beds and the tops are a deep burgundy.