Snowy Scenes from the March Southeastern Storm

100_6057

This is the sunrise on the morning of March 2, 2009 after the winter storm. The location is west of Winston Salem, NC.

100_60611

100_6142

100_6183

100_6161

100_6293

100_6422

I took all the photos between 7 and 8 am in my front and backyard.

100_6432

Maybe perhaps the most beautiful North Carolina snowstorm in my lifetime.

I noticed there were a lot of folks looking at this today Nov. 4 2009 so thought you also might like to the article I did on The Crystal Oak

1. Sweet Bay says:

Anna we just got a dusting. Most of the precipitation was gone by the time the temps dipped below freezing. But we did get 2 nice snowfalls earlier this winter.

No, the snow never stays long, but it sure is beautiful while it’s here.

2. Wanita says:

Beautiful pictures, Anna, but I’m glad the east coast got the storm and Minnesota did not! However, I heard that we may have snow this weekend. Hopefully it will not be much – or none at all. I’m anxious for spring, warm weather, and gardening.

Blessings,
    Wanita
    Thank you. Glad you didn’t get that storm. Ya’ll need a break. It was cold today but somehow in NC, the snow can melt at any degree. I think we’re closer to heaven down here 😉

3. cindy says:

Anna, your pictures are absolutely marvelous. What an eye you have for catching the wonder of nature! Thanks for sharing these with us. Unfortunately, we did not get any snow although they were predicting a blizzard (3″ is a blizzard in Augusta). Ha! At least I can live vicariously through your art.
    Thank you. Our six inches was a blizzard! It whooped it up for several hours and now it’s going away nicely. yea for the South and mild weather. I’m sorry you didn’t get any as it’s so quiet and calming for a bit.

4. Robin says:

Those are gorgeous pictures, Anna! My friends and family in Alabama were so excited to get the snow.
    Thank you . If it comes 3 weeks from now–I’ll be mad. It has done that in years past and no one thinks it’s pretty then. We are serious about our dogwood and Spring blooms not getting messed with.

5. Marnie says:

Your photos are so lovely. This is my favorite kind of snow. No wind and the snow collects on branches and turns the world into a fairy land. Enjoy!
    Marnie
    And it was just like that while I was out looking and walking where no footprints had disturbed the snow. It was magical.

6. Monica says:

Gorgeous photos. And the irony is, were here in Michigan have frigid temps in the teens but NO SNOW! Boo!
    I can’t handle that cold at all. I want the warm sun 80% of the time. It’s hard to transplant a Southerner to the North as we will freeze and go hungry. We have to have the cat head biscuits and gravy made from real fat. Do you know what a cat head biscuit is?

7. Cinj says:

Isn’t the snow pretty when it coats the trees like that? Too bad it doesn’t last long. It’s kind of funny because the wind knocking the snow off of things makes the kids think it’s snowing again. I don’t know how many times I have to remind them that snow doesn’t fall from the clouds in large clumps like that. Is it all melted by now?
    It’s not all melted yet but looks like it will be by the end of the day. It was pretty and I’m glad to see it go. It’s messy.

8. Racquel says:

You really have some wonderful scenery where you live, all those large trees. It was a beautiful snow this year. 🙂
    I really do hope that is the only snow we get. I like one or two snows a year and then be done with it.

Looks like you live in a beautiful area with so many large trees. I’m glad you’re enjoying it!
    We love our large trees until hurricanes and tornadoes visit. I do enjoy living here as the weather is usually mild.

10. You’ve managed to capture outstanding photos! The snow just looks so amazing on the trees! It was much more exciting for you, I’m sure, because I’m a northerner and grew up with it and am just ready to be done w/winter BUT I will say that I have enjoyed our little diversion up here in VA, as well;) We got about 7″ so my son was thrilled as can be. He went sledding for most of the day! My husband stayed home too and we had a fire in the fireplace and it’s been cozy! Now all you need to do is decide which photos you’ll choose for your Christmas cards next yr!! They’re awesome.
    I didn’t think about a Christmas card but that’s an excellent idea. My son is up your way and he only got 4″. What a hit and miss storm! He said the snow up there was dry and powdery.

I love a fire and cozy afternoon. Good for you guys.

11. Liisa says:

Anna,
    What beautiful photos! It must have been like waking up in a fairytale. The trees look amazing.
    It was just like a princess ice palace and so magical I almost couldn’t breathe.

12. Sweet Bay says:

Such beautiful snowy pictures!! We only got a little snow here (a lot of very cold rain) so I’ll just have to enjoy the snow vicariously through your pictures.
    Thank you. So your part of NC didn’t get any? I’m sorry. We enjoy it better than our northerly friends cause it goes away just about as quickly as it comes doesn’t it?

Photos 4 and 5 are the best!! So glad you shared these…
    Did you get cold looking at them? I was shivering while standing out there gazing at the sunrise.

14. Alice Joyce says:

I’ve watched the coverage of the highway closings with my coffee this morning. Certainly your gorgeous images impart a beauty and serenity that was altogether missing from the news. A friend returned from Minnesota yesterday and she was in heaven after being there during a major blizzard. She said she missed shoveling snow! So there it is, the beauty of winter.
    What an honor that you stopped by and thank you. I like how you made my photography sound—and thank you for that too. Phooey on the news. It wasn’t all doom and gloom. Nature cleaned up the sick branches with the snowstorm and our town will compost them. I’ll get them back as good mulch.

I haven’t shoveled snow in a good 20 years and hope like crazy that my luck continues to last. I’d rather ride my bike or walk.

Beautiful photographs though those trees do look heavily laden.
    Nature makes the best subject matter to photograph. When she combines her forces it can’t help but shine.

16. Stu says:

It was certainly the most beautiful I have seen in my few years of living in North Carolina.
    I managed to get a few photos which I hope to post tommorrow.
    I have to say though, though it was very pretty to look at I’m glad we’ll be back to Springtime temps by the end of the week!
    So nice to have a neighbor come by and your site is excellent. I really appreciate your approach to buying from only quality suppliers. That is so important! And of course, love the fact that you are a certified Proven Winners nursery. I would love to come by and take some photos of your nursery and feature it in one of my post. I’m adding you now to my sidebar.

1. Stu says:

Well, we’re very lucky in the area we live to have a tremendous selection of top notch growers, which makes our job so much easier!
      Stop by any time (although it’ll be a while before we get all our stuff in), just let me know who you are so I can say hello!
      I will be by as Spring gets in full gear and there are plants to choose from. Everybody wants to see a full garden center.

It is beautiful. Also looks like the surprise storm that hit us last week. Froze everything. Including the water pipes at the nursery.

Do you always get this much snow? I don’t remember your zone.

Jen
    Thank you. We rarely get this much and I don’t ever remember one so pretty. I’m in zone 7 which is sometimes just silly. We had a zone 9 summer and there are weeks when it’s a zone 5 winter. You can’t predict our part of NC. If a plant says zone 7 then protect it from the winter wind. If it says better in zone 5 that put it in afternoon shade. You learn by killing a bunch of innocent plants along the way by trial and error.