Mauve Bowles Wallflower

on

tanglewood-park-may-08-045

This is a Mauve Bowles Wallflower. It’s my favorite of the Erysimums. There are several colors in this family. In my zone 7 garden, they bloom from March through July. I cut it  back after blooming and it puts out another huge display of flowers the next year. The Wallflower was an evergreen in my garden.

Janet over at Queen of Seafood has a yellow variety growing. She writes more about it and has a picture of the Wallflower in her garden.

The picture above is from my pictures of Tanglewood Park in Clemmons, NC.

1. Trish says:

I bough one brush last year and it was blooming like crazy, I would like to buy some
    more but all the nursery in my home town (Jone 7) did not know what it was untll
    last month, I went to visit my relative in Ca , and see several of this plans blooming
    I asked the owner of the landscape garden and found out the name . When I come
    back home , I search in the internet for the supplier (now it is two hot to plant anything anyway, but ready for Fall or Spring) I only found the nursery from England’
    Is there some where in US I can buy some of the wonderful flowers
    Trish
    I agree they are hard to find. In fact, the nursery where I found them had no idea they had them. I took in a sprig of what I already had—and they said they didn’t recognize it. Well I turned the corner and there sat a whole bunch in gallon containers.

They can be rooted and you should do that once every three years to preserve your stock. They are short lived perennials. I hope you find some as I don’t know of a source. I have three now and am getting ready to take some cuttings to root. They have been blooming in my garden since February. It is ok to plant them now. They look cool roots and morning sun. I put them on the East side of the house. they start blooming like crazy in February and don’t stop with a big flush of flowers till about the end of June—then they have several little sprigs that last all summer. Best plant I’ve ever owned.

2. janet says:

thanks for the mention Anna. I really like the mauve ones!
    Janet
    I wanted people so see what the yellow one looked like. You’ll have to grow a purple one too as they get big and bloom like fools.

3. Racquel says:

I love that color! I bought seed for the orange variety this year but I didn’t know there was a purple cultivar. Beautiful!
    Maybe this garden blogging thing is not good for those of us who see and then got to have! We get in lots of trouble sharing all these plants we love.

4. Sylvia (England) says:

Anna, after years of wanting this plant I bought it last year but I don’t think it has come through the winter. I think I will need to get another plant and find a different home for it.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)
    Give it a chance–it still might make it. Seems like the first year I had mine it did that. It was kinda dormant for a bit. It likes cool roots in rich soil but it likes a good amount of sun. Mine did best in morning sun and afternoon shade.

5. Tatyana says:

It is an excellent performer in my garden. Blooming non-stop. On the label, it’s also named Russian Wall Flower. If Russian, I was supposed to know it, but I’ve never heard about it before. After some research, I found a similar looking variety on the Russian web pages, but the only color was yellow. I am wondering if the purple one is a hybrid? Anyway, it is a very good hardy plant.
    I never heard it called Russian Wall Flower but that sounds grand. This plant is a wonderful performer. I grew the yellow one and it didn’t do well for me like this purple variety. The purple was lots bigger and bloomed longer.

6. VP says:

I have that in my garden too. Here, it manages to stay blooming all year long, then gives up after three years exhausted from its endevours. Needless to say, I’m more than happy to replace it!

It’s down in my plant book as a short-lived perennial.

It’s attractive to bees too 🙂
    It blooms its head off for me too and yes, it only lives about 3 years although I’ve had it live for 5. It roots easily and I need to keep it up in my new gardens.

What a lovely colour. Do they stand up to the elements well as they look good growing together in that bed.
    They are extremely hardy and strong. I’ve had them bloom in February with snow on them. Their stems become woody as it grows. I cut it back after blooming and it will start to set flowers again in January in my zone 7 garden. They only live 3 to 5 years so you must consistently take cuttings to ensure you have future generations. They really do bloom their heads off. Oh–they like cool roots and a hot head.

I love that Wallflower. Mine only seem to live for 3 or so years, but they bloom almost non stop while they are here. That is definitely one I will be getting this spring!
    The are short lived perennials but they root easily. You are suppose to take cuttings from them every two years to assure you have them forever. I don’t do that but maybe I will from now on. The Mauve Bowles blooms the longest of the varieties.