1. Anna ~ Sorry you’re not feeling well. I just took a short journey back over the last few days, and your recent posts of garden tranquility, interesting features, petunias, rudbeckia and rugged, architectural roots have put me in a springtime frame of mind. Thanks for the brief respite from brown slush and blackened snowbanks! We’re having a one-day break of 50-something temps, so I’ve got windows open ~ getting rid of those winter germs.

2. Peggy says:

The first photo looks like giant feet! Great series of photos.

3. nancybond says:

The roots in that first photo are gorgeous and (to me) those depressions just beg to be planted with something small and colourful, or filled with beautiful stones or something, if it wouldn’t harm the tree. Beautiful! (I have a photo of a large, spreading tree taped to the wall above my monitor — under it, it reads, “To be rooted is perhaps the most important and least recognized need of the human soul.” Your post reminded me to read it. 🙂
    What an appropriate quote for how I’m feeling. Having to move so much with the Air Force gave be an appreciation for the place where my roots grew the deepest. It’s nice to finally be sharing the reason I love my home state so much. It’s nice to be back where I recognize the slant of the sun, the feel of familiar warm breezes brush across my cheeks, heritage of the generations who came before me.

The roots would be pretty planted up as such. I’m sure if you used some sort of container that it would work. It would draw a great deal of interest. I think it would be very pretty and I’ve seen it done. If the spaces between the roots are large enough, you can plant things but you are never suppose to cover these roots with soil. I know that you know that—I’m just telling others who might be reading this and love your idea.

4. Robin says:

I love to see gnarled old tree roots! They can become quite the nuisance in a small yard though.
    They sure can. I had a house once that if it weren’t for the roots there wouldn’t be anything in the lawn. And if you cover the roots of some trees, you kill them. The ones above add to the charm of the city but it is a constant problem. I can’t imgine the law suits this may pose. There are signs all around telling you to be aware of your step.

5. Racquel says:

There is a house in my neighborhood that has interesting old gnarled roots like these. Cool photos!
    I think they are everywhere and almost always noticed. They look scary and cool at the same time. Scary cause of those movies where the tree comes alive with the roots and branches having human traits.

6. Dave says:

Those old gnarly roots have a lot of character! They are one of the little thought of features of a mature tree.
    Or a pain in the tush if you didn’t consider them. I think they are pretty and a nice play to play as a kid. I use to pretend they were a big old mansion with many rooms. I’ve have my dolls spread out all over the place.

7. Roots are often one of the really artactive features of many trees. Ceibas,Mangrooves,and Pandanus
    are among some exceptionally rare.

Nice picture…..
    Nice to have you here Raul. I visited your blog just now but could not get my name to post. I love your Redbud tree header. It’s one of the prettiest ones I’ve ever seen. I have seen the roots of the Mangroove trees and they are fascinating. They can actually build an island if they group together for long enough isn’t that correct? Their pods falling like spears in to the water is ingenuous. I hope I’m thinking of the correct tree.

What wonderful pictures Anna. Hope you are feeling a bit better. As a child one of the things that got me into plants were pictures of how far tree roots spread and what they do. Amazing things roots.
    Thank you Phillip and my sickness woes come and go. I guess it has to run the course.

I wish I had more tree root pictures. I’m going to be mindful of that when I’m out and about. I’m fascinated with it too. The first roots were probably cut back along the road. I’ve seen roots growing inside houses, up through toilets, inside drains, up through the sidewalk, and so many places that are unusual. Their determination is a think to wonder about. Especially when you consider they are made up of fragile cells.