Write A Valentine Letter

slide03

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Several weeks ago I was going through my great aunts memorabilia. She was a wonderful letter writer. She kept all the correspondence with an uncle of hers. There is an endearing tone in his letters to her and she must have liked that a great deal. The earliest letter from Mr Miller is in 1913. He had moved from our part of NC to KY. He was lonely and rethinking his decision to move.

slide18

Mr Miller wrote her many Valentine letters and she did the same for him. I have no idea what the Progressive Committee is or if he held an office. I would suspect so. He was the town doctor as he always signed his name as Dr. Miller. He was quite her senior and was married. The letters do hint toward something more than niece and uncle. They are very often romantic. Maybe she just had a crush on him. He was about the only man who paid attention to her.

He once told my aunt that his wife was out of town and it was pleasant in the house. He says that he wishes Anna was there to spend some time with him. She never married but the letters live on.

Her letters from him are wrapped and held secured with a baby blue ribbon. Tucked inside those letters are clips from newspaper articles about gardening events and social gatherings. I suppose she wishes he was there to join her. Looks like she filled the envelopes with every major event through the years they corresponded.

My aunt was a beautiful woman. Here is her graduation picture in 1913 from Salem College.

100_5791She loved the color pink just about as much as I.  I have been organizing my photos by color. Here as some pinks for Valentine’s Day. Hope you enjoy. She loved wild shrub roses.

I do not have the names of all the plants.

slide01

slide07Hydrangea, A Bit of Lace

slide08

slide09

slide10

slide13

slide15

slide17

1. maureen says:

What a lovely post, the photo’s are so pretty and I also love pink. It’s sad that your aunt never married, I wonder did she love her uncle ?
    Thank you for the comment left on my blog. I am so glad you did otherwise I may not have got to visit yours. I will be back.
    best wishes, Maureen
    I don’t know if she had a crush on him or if she really loved getting his letters. She couldn’t stand her father because he ran off with someone else. She adored her mother. So this uncle may have been a father figure. It’s hard to tell from the tone of the letter. Folks use to be more endearing than today. On the other hand, you wouldn’t have too much trouble making a romance out of it! She lived with her brother in the little settlement of Old Salem, NC. Her brother never married either.

I’m glad you came by my blog too.

2. Melanthia says:

These photos are wonderful. I remember writing letters as a child. And I still have the letters between the hubby and me during college. I may have to break those out now!
    It’s good to look at old letters and remember the fun of buying stationary. I use to take a long time picking out just the right one.

3. nancybond says:

Letter writing, like great conversation, is becoming a lost art. Years ago, I used to communicate by handwritten letters to most of my moved-away friends — now, as Jodi pointed out, email suffices. There’s a lot of love in those letters, Anna. 🙂
    I just realized there might be something to those stamps too. Until now, that hadn’t occurred to me. I wouldn’t sell them but I might need to put them in a lock box. I love to write as you can tell. The computer is gratifying cause I can cram more in less space. But there is something so romantic about a letter isn’t it? I used to be so careful about my handwriting. The artist in us comes out. I bet you are and were a grand letter composer. I’m going out tomorrow to buy Valentine’s Day cards. Hallmark is going to get a good chunk of change from my pocketbook.

4. fairegarden says:

Hi Anna, what treasures those letters are, you are very fortunate to still have them. The whole scenario is so romantic too, perfect for your pink flowers for this sweet month. 🙂
    Frances
    It’s my favorite holiday but then I’m nuts about MrD. The great aunt in this post left me lots of good things including all her cookbooks and recipe cards. She did all the genealogy for the family and is quoted all over the internet in association with that. I get my love of a good story from her too. I look forward to seeing her in heaven. I’m going to thank her and sit with her for hours. I will then learn what I was too immature to learn early on. I missed a good chance to be really smart. She offered to pay my way through Salem College. She didn’t want me to join the Air Force. She was going to raise me forever. I can’t wait to tell her that she and my grandma were the best influence I ever had. I miss you Nana.

5. Cinj says:

Those pink flowers are gorgeous. It is Peanut’s favorite color too. I like it too, but I have a hard time just picking one as a favorite.
    I don’t try to pick just one. I mix and match. Somehow they all look good together. I do remember that Peanut likes pink.

6. jodi says:

What a lovely post! The wee problem with email is that it deters many of us from writing ‘realmail’ letters, and of course those used to be the main way to communicate. We’re spoiled now, with our instant communications, when letters used to take weeks, even months, to reach their destinations.
    I like the aged look of the letter and that stamp. I believe the letter above was mailed in the summer but no telling what time it arrived. Sometimes a series of letters was inside. It seems they started a letter and kept a journal of things they wanted to say and then sent them all at once. The other thing I noticed was the re-use of envelopes. Many of these letters have faded addresses under the original. It’s all fascinating.

MrD is working on Copper Top Today.