Jodi’s Petunias

timb12

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
jodi delong at Bloomingwriter up in Nova Scotia made a list of plants she didn’t care for. Her blue poppy was at the top of that POST……or was it?. I was surprised. She links back to Stuart of the great gardening BLOTANICAL.com world. He wrote this POST on his 5 most hated plants. Do we all hate or dislike or even loathe certain plants?

I was also  surprised to hear that jodi liked petunias so much. These petunas varieties below are the strong cultivars that are out now in most private nurseries. They will bloom all summer just like this. It must be what jodi likes so much about them—right jodi?

timb5

jodi, are these the prettiest ones you’ve ever seen?

timb7

timb8

I have lots more petunia pictures jodi if you need a fix. Just let me know.

The pictures above where taken in Blowing Rock, NC. They are just outside the

Bob Timberlake Gallery. I have Blowing Rock pictures on my sidebar.

1. Betty says:

Oh, those red(?)petunias are a sight for sore eyes! Not familiar with blue poppy..can somebody fill me in on those. I’d love to copy that container garden at my own house this summer. Just drug out my PW annual booklets that are FREE for asking to see if I can find them. Are these the Wave petunias? I always mixed dark purple petunias with red geraniums but am tired of that combination now in my border. I want to add more creeping phlox, is it too late to plant these now?
    I would assume these are Proven Winners petunia cultivars cause they lasted all summer. You can go to the PW site and look up all their petunias. They have tons of varieties. The silvery vine in the big container is Dichondra Silver Falls. It can grow in shade or sun and makes a great contrast and lovely texture. I use it in lots of containers.

2. Harvee says:

Love your petunias, though I never plant them, thinking it would be too much work to keep them abundant and looking good at all times.

I dont believe Jodi listed the blue poppy as a detested plant. I didn’t see it on her list. I would go to the trouble of trying to grow that blue poppy though.
    Hi and welcome to my blog. I was picking on jodi–she loves the blue poppy. These petunias are easy to take care of. Fertilize once a week. No deadheading and no cutting back.

3. Glad to see someone taking up for the petunia! It’s one of my favs; I have old fashioned pass-alongs that came from my aunt and grandmother; the scent alone is worth keeping the plant for. They are a standard in my beds.
    You know, some have a scent and others almost stink. The double purple by PW is the best smelling petunia in the world I think. It’s also one of the deepest purples on the market.

4. Robin says:

You certainly got a response from Jodi, LOL, (I really did)!

I like purple wave petunias, and enjoy growing them myself. They are so easy to grow and they bloom all summer long in my containers without much attention. So, even if they aren’t Jodi’s faves, they are winners with me!
    OH good and I thought you were. Your pictures are remarkable girl. Going to your blog is an absolute treat to the eyes. I pick on everyone at some point in time. You might be next.

Anna,

Thanks for the smile today! I heard you throw down the garden glove gauntlet the other day and knew we were in for a fun ride! Fun and pretty flowers all in one post! The petunias, while not one of my favs, look delicious displayed here!
    Gail
    I make it my mission to convert all non-petunia lovers over to the pro-petunia side. I’m going to plant a boat load next year.

6. Dave says:

They are perfect Anna! I haven’t had any petunias show up like yours have. The one’s in the first picture are great!
    I’ve had good luck with all the new cultivars but they must be fed a great deal. I have it on my calendar so I remember.

7. Marnie says:

I like petunias and haven’t found them to be high maintenance. Of course our growing season in Northern Illinois is shorter. Found some yellow ones in at nearby greenhouse and I love them.
    Marnie
    Marnie you mine as well say we have two summer seasons down here as it can last from April to November in my NC garden. If you buy the regular petunias they will get very leggy about mid summer. We have to whack them way back and they’ll start fresh. With the new cultivars, I don’t have to cut them back. They do keep getting bigger and bigger and blooming their fool heads off.

8. fairegarden says:

Hi Anna, your petunias were the best I have ever seen. If I could make mine look like that I would grow them as well, but I have never had that kind of success! You have quite the green petunia thumb! And I laughed at the nudge to Jodi, she was a good sport about it too. All in good fun! 🙂
    Frances
    She is a good sport about things. I’ll continue to pick on her and everyone else too. You’ll find yourself here some day:).

Thank you about my petunias. It really is the variety you buy. All of mine have been Proven Winners and tons of proper fertilizing along the way. I’ve never seen such hungry plants. It’s like feeding an Olympic athlete.

I love Petunias and those are gorgeous and cleverly planted too.
    Blowing Rock is a very clever place. It’s nice that all the businesses participate in the beauty and do containers also.

10. I still like petunias! I know that they’ve fallen from popularity with all the other choices these days.

Cameron
    I like them more;)

11. Cinj says:

Oh pretty petunias! They’re still months away from now up here. I can’t think of any flowers I hate, but yarrow comes a bit close. I sure was tempted to buy some seeds today but I’ll have to wait for a while. If they’re inside my house too long I’ll find a way to kill them.
    I can’t grow an indoor plant either. I think it’s cause I ignore them. I am so tired from working outside all summer that I’m ready to rest for the winter.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many flowers at once on a petunia. Do they have a nice scent? Some of the ones I’ve had in the past have the best smell.
    I always buy http://www.provenwinners.com/ and their double purple is the best one I’ve ever smelled. I think the ones above are PW’s too but there was no tag for me to see. Only the cultivars will bloom this long maintenance free. My Vista Silverberry bloomed from April to beyond frost. I finally pulled it out in November cause I was doing fall clean up. Bloomingest thing I’ve ever seen. No pest or disease, no dead heading, and no cutting back. Woo hoo

13. Pink petunias are my favorites…but any petunia would be nice in January! Thanks for the smile;)
    Jan I had so much success with them last year that I’m going to plant more. I have areas that I can’t develop yet but I want them to be flower beds over the next two years. I need them to look good until I can afford to fix them up. Petunias will fit the bill.

14. jodi says:

Wheeeeee! I knew I could count on you, dearest Anna, to crack me up with a little petunia party. Although we had ice, and snow, and freezing rain and wind last night, I don’t think that hell has yet frozen over, so I don’t feel any great craving for petunias here. I’ll love yours, of course, because they’re yours–just so long as you don’t try to convince me to love goutweed, it’s all good.
    That is brutal weather and no thanks. I’ve never been a cold weather person. It was 50 here today and chilly. I don’t remember a snow here in April so we’re getting very close to Spring.

I agree that some annual petunias are a maintenance nightmare. The new cultivars don’t have to be dead headed and they survive drought pretty good if planted properly. They do need a lot of fertilizer. I never saw any pest or disease. So I’m sold on the new cultivars. And they are so boo-ti-ful.

15. Racquel says:

Those petunias are pretty gorgeous Anna.
    I’m just picking on Jodi. She’ll come along soon and will want some petunias of her own.