Killing Your Weeds To Death

100_5534

Murder your weeds or kill them? Murder is a direct attempt to kill due to a calculated plan. Murder will take a life on purpose. Killed just happens.  You could run over the plants with your car and kill them accidentally. Which style do you use in your garden?

Right now I’m prepared to be a murderer. I am going to rid this bed of those weeds on purpose. I have a plan and I’m going to carry it out. I’m going to physically put an end to their lives. They will get hurt and it is not going to be pretty. Several lives will be lost. I will be accused of murder and not some accidental killing.

How did it get like this? Immature Manure is what happened to this bed. Spring of 2008 we moved in our new home. Being the well seasoned gardener , I wanted my beds to be properly amended. I handled the landscaping details much to the distress of my builder. He wanted to lay seed and let it bake. He wanted to stick a few plants in the hard ground so I could watch them die.

I have a lot of beds. I talked with my builder’s so called landscaper. He was such a nice guy. He had horses and we planned together a nice load or two delivered and tilled in the beds. I made sure he knew it needed to be well over a year old. No problem he said and all was well.

I wasn’t told the landscapers were at my new home working. I’m pretty sure that was an intentional move on their part. My neighbor would relay to me how the tiller skimmed across the top of the soil and the steam was still rising off the aromatic manure. Some of it was still attached to the horses butt. That last part might have been said in my current state of anger. Nobody actually said a horse was in my flower beds but there was plenty of evidence to assume one had.

About a month later much to my horror and felt deep in my pockets grew a nice crop of weeds. They were merrily assisted by the leaf mulch MrD and I worked in the soil at the same time the expensive seeds were sowed. Growing with the pretty little seedlings were chickweed, bind weed, wild geranium, grasses, the kitchen sink, someone’s prescription medications, and a host of other non-flower garden items. They were all growing profusely with the newly grown seeds. I was at a murderous state back then but had to keep calm and sort things out.

MrD and I worked on the front beds and salvaged what we could. We pulled weeds for months. I was building steam and laying a plan of attack for such a moment as now. Now I am going to yank while the yanking is productive. I’m working new leaf mulch in to this area. As I go—so goes the weeds. Good riddance and fare the badly.

I do not intend to hope these weeds will be killed by happenstance. I am going to murder them with a smile on my face. And never will I ever let this happen again.

Digg!

1. Here I come to save the day! Mighty Mouse I ain’t, but have I got a Bindweed eradication method for you. Check this out:
    Bindweed eradication
    Thank you and I knew you would. I’ll make sure he gets it. I’ll be using your method too!!!

2. wayne stratz says:

I keep thinking about looking a gift horse in the mouth…

how does one kill bindweed? I have some that is not at an easy spot to destroy.
    You would enjoy this labor intense article on how one of my blogger friends killed bindweed. I have a lot of it so it looks like I’ll be busy.
    I ask Mr McGregor’s Daughter to come post her link here on bindweed. She’ll be by in a bit.

3. Kathi says:

Oh my goodness, you have lot of work ahead of you, I too am still pulling weeds from manure I purchased years ago! Have you tried shooting the weeds? LOL!
    I could probably borrow a shot gun. I would take great pleasure in blasting them off the face of the earth. It would probably leave a gaping hole but I’d feel so good.

4. Dave says:

Sometimes murder is justified. 😉 The hot water will work although you may have to do it a few times. Black plastic would bake them or you could cover with newspapers and mulch. Get the chickweed before it goes to seed. It is prolific if it gets a hold!
    OH good–the hot water works! I’ll get on it today. There is a lot of wild geranium too. I’ve not been to enthused about going out there to tackle it. I was trying to do it all correctly to begin with and very discouraged that it is where it is. I tried newspaper but the termites had a hay day and my husband pulled it out. Too close to the house for that kind of thing. Thank you for the help.

5. Sylvia (England) says:

Anna, I remember you saying at the time how unhappy you were. In the UK they have had problems with weedkiller in manure. Apparently the cows have eaten grass previously treated and the well rotten manure was still contaminated. Several allotments had this problem!

Your list of things growing with the seedlings really made me laugh! Good luck with the weeding.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)
    I didn’t think about that Sylvia. Poor cows and us. I can’t believe it would still be in their system but cows do send it through pretty fast. I’ve been 99% organic at my new house. I do not want to kill anymore butterflies or other critters especially if all I have to do is work a little. I’m going to throw some hot water on them like Nancy suggested. I’m documenting the results. Should be interesting.

But at least you know the bed is fertile and since weeds are only flowers in the wrong place, you are sure to replace them with beauty and colour that you know will grow well there. Good Luck.
    That is just way to intelligent Phillip. I love it! That bed is fertile and then some. I amended the soil out the wazoo and it’s nice and crumbly. I should be able to lift those bad boys right out of the bed. Seriously I can probably take a hoe and be done in about an hour with all the back beds. It saves time to take time–right?

7. Wanita says:

Yes ma’am! I think you should go after those weeds with a carefully calculated plan. Good luck!

Blessings,
    Wanita
    Who knew a horse ate so many weeds? I wish I had gotten my manure from only the horses who eat in meadows of coneflowers, Black Eyed Susans, phlox, and the likes. That must be in the yellow pages somewhere. Let’s see….I’ll look under Equine Specialized Manure Blends. I think I’ve seen that before.

8. nancybond says:

Murder’s a bit harsh…maybe they’ll let you off with weedslaughter. 🙂 Try some straight-from-the-kettle boiling water — it works wonders on some weeds. Good luck! We’ll all visit you in The Big House. Hee!
    Weedslaughter–that is great Nancy! Then I can live to weed another day. I hope to build a weed eradicating museum one day and feature weeds that exist no longer. We will draw back in horror at what once grew in our gardens. If I build it, will you come?

I’m going to need a bigger pot for the boiling water. I’ll let you know if I have cast iron weeds. Sure would be a lot simpler to annihilate them with one swift blow. It will give me more blogging time.

9. Jared says:

Go, grrrl!
    I need a shirt that says weed-n-ator. I see Nancy has convicted me of weedslaughter.

10. I think you’ve got it under control. Really. 🙂

Cameron
    I’m growing weed and it is not cool.

11. Racquel says:

Good luck with your weed murdering! I have some of my own to get to soon. 🙂
    Welcome to the gang. We’ll present a united front.

12. Philip says:

I know what you mean. I bought a little plant from the nursery at Filoi. The soil they used was not sterilized and clover was in it. I now have clover everywhere! Good luck on weed clearing! Here I ask for company to talk to me while I weed. That and a stool and something refreshing to drink!
    Good luck and best wishes,
    Philip
    Can you imagine if I invited someone to talk with me? Philip– would we get anything done? Let’s just go visit the NC wineries and you can ship some real wine out to California. We need to show ya’ll what wine is suppose to taste like.

That darn clover is a heathen. It’s so many of them too and holds on to the soil like the roots run around the earth and anchor to the moon. It reminds me of a starfish who can grow another leg. It will allow you to pull the top off and then moves at warp speed to grow new. Is there any other evil thing you want to say about it? It ranks up there with acne, diarrhea, indigestion, boils, plagues, diaper poo, slick roads, bad hair days, holes in your undies, and the day you heard there was no Santa. I’m fed up with weeds. How about you? Can you add more?

I am a murderer too! I take hoes, shovels and my bare hands to commit my crimes! Why is it that weeds grow no matter what the weather? The brightest patch of green I have are the weeds growing in the front flower beds. Good luck! 🙂
    I hope it makes headline news. I hope people will talk about for years to come. They’ll say it was the worst killing they have ever seen. I’ll be so proud. I’m doing it for gardeners everywhere so they can stomp out future generations of renegade weeds.

14. Deb says:

Remind me not to make you angry:)
    I only get angry if you grow in my garden and make a nuisance of yourself. I know that if you were in my garden everything would grow better;)