How Would You Landscape A Cultural Center?

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protectededgewood-trellis-cottage1

—–You will have to click on the picture to enlarge it to see the full design.——

I’ve been working on this cottage for weeks. Even with my new Mac, adding the elements has been slow. This is a cultural center and a museum will be built behind it. North Carolina pottery is made from the mountains to the sea and I thought the display out front reflected those pieces made by the Indians in the area.. All native plants will be used except for the few annuals dotted here and there. The cottage and museum will be an interactive environment. It will showcase our rich Southern heritage. I needed lots of seating. I’ve used picnic tables and swings. I’ve also added a multi-level seating arrangement. I am sure they will not be able to do it all the first year as the funds won’t cover it completely. It does give them an idea of what could be incorporated as time and money will allow.

You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.

edgewood-4trellis-cottage

edgewood-3-trellis-cottage

final-rt-edgewood-cottageThis is before the pergola.

final-lft-edgewood-cottageAbove is the vegetable garden and picnic area. They have enough acerage to make this larger.

final-mid-edgewood-cottageThere is a ramp leading up to the cottage for handicap access. See the Fiskars sign;)

final-words-edgewood-cottage

What would you add if this was going to be your cultural center.

You can read about this story on my side bar under Fiskers. I am hoping that Fiskars will make Edgewood Cottage a recipient of their

Project Orange Thumb grant.

1. Anna ~ It all looks wonderful! Will the vegetables, sunflowers and native plants draw in sufficient populations of butterflies and pollinators? (I was thinking of a butterfly garden, but you’re probably all set.)

Did I see a small water feature on a corner? I wondered about a fountain, small waterfall or other water feature to add the element of cooling sound, in a shady nook, with lots of seating for hot days at the center. Maybe several wind chimes, which can be cooling and soothing? Tall grasses to rustle in the wind?

Scented geraniums and fragrant herbs growing near walkways… to be brushed into and enjoyed… as well as thyme and other scented ground covers between stepping stones – my dad was blind and came to enjoy my gardens, through the sense of smell.

I wish you success with this ambitious project and wish my Mac had such capabilities… nice program!
    I love all your ideas and they’ll be along to read them also. It’s a sharp group of people working on the final plans.

It does get stuffy there and a great many of the tourist are retired folks. People do linger longer when they have a place to sit. I’ve been there when every seating area was occupied by a contented looking person. People seems to enjoy hanging out in that little town and watching everyone else having fun. I’m a people watcher. It’s fun to be in such a pleasant environment.

I like adding sound to the mix. The rustling leaves and chimes is very soothing. There are quite a few craftsmen in the area. I’m sure something like this could be donated. Yes, there is a water feature in the middle of the picture. It’s a bucket that fills with water and dumps when full. I was thinking along the lines of what kind of stuff have I seen made by folks who live there. The swing on the back side of the pergola is made just down the road close to the man who carves bear figures out of giant logs. It’s so fascinating to visit this town and its neighbor Boone.

Thank you for the suggestions. I knew I was connected to a talented bunch and we could all make suggestions. They may have already thought this stuff up but it’s fun to participate.

2. eliz says:

I like it. I am a bit confused-the cultural center is separate from the museum, and they have different purposes? Oh well, in any case, it looks natural and colorful, fitting in well with the landscape.
    I can see how it’s confusing. Yes, there are two buildings. They are still raising money for the museum. There will be plenty to fill both buildings. The way they explained it to me was—-events will be held at each and sometimes incorporate both. They want it to be hands on and focus on our heritage and diversity. We have a rich Appalachian uniqueness including music, art, gardening, furniture making, pottery, and Indian culture. The folks who migrated here from Europe brought along their music and mixed it amongst themselves. It has turned in to what we call mountain music. Kinda like Irish ballads with a twist. The folks had a way with plants that is healing for the body and the spirit.

So the museum will house artifacts, folklore memorabilia, and hold events that depict life in the area. Little Edgewood cottage is a preserved art studio belonging to a man named Elliott Daingerfield. You can read about the museum and his cottage here.

Looks good to me Anna. At least its not the usual low maintenance suspects and your choices fit in with the Center. I might consider a bed of native food plants / herbs.
    Excellent idea! And I’ll add that butterfly bush that you and I like–you know, the yellow one. And how about lots of dill to attract the butterflies. Oh I never thought about a butterfly garden but the kids would love it. Of course–these are all suggestions but The Blowing Rock Garden club is a very active bunch and eager to get Edgewood cottage fixed up nicely.

What a cool project, Anna. I love the way you’ve incorporated a veggie garden and ramp for access. I think some kind of interactive “plant a seed” activity section would be great. I want to do this with a flower patch in our school courtyard so that passersby might feel inclined to participate in some way. Fiskars might like some orange marigolds. I love the sunflowers and birdhouse that you’ve put in too.
    I’m hoping Fiskars will give this town the grant and I’m hoping The Blowing Rock Gardening and Historical societies will like what I worked up for them. I’m glad to be getting some good reviews as you always critique your own stuff.

I was a biology teacher for a few years and I can tell you that kids love to grow stuff. Your seed garden will be a big hit. I bet too that you could collect the seeds from the school plants for a fund raiser project. Larkspur and Black Eyed Susans come back year to year and reseed. I would think they would need to start most seeds early for your area. Kids want to see some kind of bloom before school lets out. Some seed companies will give you some seeds if you blog about the experience.

5. jodi says:

Design is SO not my thing, Anna. I know plants, but I’m a word person and I can’t ‘see’ something in my head. This looks awesome to me, and I’m sure you’re doing a wonderful job with it.
    Yea!!! This is how come I haven’t been by to visit blogs. I’ve been adding and taking away from this plan. Every time you look at it….you see something you want to change. The cottage has a little balcony over the front porch. I’m not sure what is going up there. I had debated putting flowers there but there is no way to keep them constantly watered. We all know annuals in a container are very thirsty.

I think it looks great. I can’t wait to see it come to life. You are very talented.
    Thank you. I’ve been gardening for about 40 years and I spent 35 of them preparing dirt. Seriously…I’ve lived so many places that I consider dirt my thing. Now as for knowing all the plant names…well….I’m working on it.

7. Cinj says:

I can’t think of anything to add, it looks wonderful. It looks like you’ve done a whole lot of work there.
    Thank you and most of the work was learning the new software. My old program didn’t work on the new puter.

Cinj–I read about your lye soap episode and tried to leave a comment. Your comments are off kilter today I suppose. I’ll try back later. So sorry you couldn’t find the stuff to make your soap. That is frustrating.