GBBD at 10 Degrees

rainy-day-055

I’m not going out there in 10 degree weather to dead-head the violas. Today, I have only pansies and violas showing their little faces. But it is bright and cheery. There are a few Coral Bells and other evergreens showing their winter faces as well.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protectedrainy-day-052

They pansy above looks beat up doesn’t it? We had a lot of rain and now this very bitter cold. It’s just tired. Lots of new growth though so more on the way. Carol over at May Dreams Gardens host Garden Blogger’s Bloom Day the 15th of every month. If you want to see some fantastic photos of flowers from all over the world, take a look at her blog.

rain6

Helena’s Blush Euphorbia turns this beautiful shade of deep red in the cold temps.

rainy-day-027

Dolce Key Lime Pie Heuchera

rainy-day-045Dolce Creme Brulee

rainy-day-039

Dolce Creme de Menthe

rainy-day-098

Pink Chablis lamium in a very proteced area.  There are quite a few other color leafy beauties but I’m not going out in the freeze zone to get their pictures.

I sure wish we were working on Copper Top Cottage. It’s almost been a month now because of the rain and cold. Later next week it’s suppose to be back up to 50. I want to get it finished by the end of February. I need to start my seeds.

1. Sue says:

It’s cold here, too. I like your post about blotanical, too. I can’t keep up anymore.
    My grown kids are on a snowboarding trip this weekend. My dil and grand doggie stayed behind and I think they have the right idea. I can’t imagine snowboarding in this kind of weather. The mom in me is worried sick about them.

Dolce mia ephorbia! (Don’t even know if this is good Italian, just felt like saying something that sounded like it.) Don’t blame you for not wanting to go out. We’re dipping into the sub-zeros up here in NY. Happy GBBD!
    That is funny. Dolce Mia, pappa pia..when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie—-that’s dolce mia. I think that song or my version of is a million years old and I don’t speaka Italian either. Did it show?

Yep the violas are wonderful this time of year…Anna the Euphorbia is wonderful, that has to go on the list! Any planting recommendations? Do keep warm. Gail
    I recommend you stay warm too;) Oh and that Euphorbia has grown everywhere I put it. I mean it grows like crazy. Only about 2 feet tall and just love it. I’ll let you know if it survives this weeks cold and continues to be an evergreen. Here is some info for you and it is true to the tag. The cups shaped flowers in the Spring make an even bigger statement.

Helena’s Blush
    Genus:
    Euphorbia amygdaloides hybrid
    Common Name:
    Wood Spurge

Features
    Interesting green and white variegated foliage with fuchsia highlights in cold temperatures; chartreuse flowers in spring

• Drought Tolerant *
    • Fall

*Even drought tolerant annual and perennial plants will need water for the first few weeks while they get established. Shrubs and trees will need to be watered for the first year after they are planted. After this, little or no supplemental water will be necessary when planted in the ground. No plant is truly drought tolerant in a container; water is necessary for all plants in containers.

Ornamental Characteristics
    Flower Color
    Green

Foliage Color
    Variegated

Height
    16-20″ (Medium)

Spacing
    18-20″

Habit
    Upright

Container Plant Style
    Thriller – Used either in the back or middle of a container. Usually a taller item that adds height and drama to the container.

Patent Information
    Helena’s Blush ‘Inneuphhel’ US PP17,555; Can. PBR 2829

Plant Needs
    Duration
    Perennial

Bloom Time
    Spring to early summer

Zone(s)
    Perennial in zones 6 – 9

Hardy Temp
    -5°F (-21°C)

Exposure
    Plant in sun or partial shade

Water Needs
    Dry to Normal

Maintenance
    Easy

Uses
    Landscapes and containers

Plant alone or in combinations in all container types and landscapes
    Growing Tips
    These plants begin blooming in early spring and by late spring to early summer they are done. Deadheading won’t keep them blooming longer. However, removing the old flowers once the plant has finished blooming will encourage the plant to branch more and the next spring you should see an increase in flowers thanks to a better branched plant.

Plants in the spurge family often will bleed a milky, white sap if cut or wounded. This sap is a form of latex. Most people will have little or no reaction due to sap exposure from the euphorbia that Proven Winners sells. However, people with sensitive skin or latex allergies should be cautious when handling euphorbia. Poinsettias are in this same family. If you have ever experienced a skin irritation due to contact with poinsettias you should be cautious with all euphorbia.

Helena’s Blush
    Genus:
    Euphorbia amygdaloides hybrid
    Common Name:
    Wood Spurge

Year Award Trial
    2006 Best New Perennials Patriot News Pennsylvania
    2005 Top Performer Norfolk Botanical Garden
    Good Performer Chicago Botanic Garden

All information was taken from the site http://www.provenwinners.com/ additional photos can be seen there. The above photos were taken in my garden.

4. mothernaturesgarden says:

Anna,
    The Helena’s Blush Euphorbia is such a nice capture. Heucheras are my new favorites. They perform well here.
    Donna
    I had Helena’s Blush at my former home and loved it. I also like Efthania. Both my PW of course. Thank you

5. joey says:

I see lots of lovely favorites, you lucky gal 🙂
    Yes, this is the place to be….my house. Come on!

Such bright colors, love to see that!!
    That yellow pot of violas is sitting right between my garage doors. I have white brick there and all of it together is very bright.

7. Ooh! Nice color! We’re looking at about two months before it’s pansy and viola time… teens today, about 10-12º for tomorrow – BRR! Honorable canine garden assistant is cutting short her backyard squirrel hunting, in favor of her warm, big, comfy chair.

I agree with the snapping of photos from inside. The young Cooper’s hawk that has become my latest header, was taken from a back window… nary a bird at the feeding stations, for quite some time afterward.

Thanks for reinforcing the belief that spring will return, once again.
    All good dogs with any sense stay inside and take the bestest and warmest seats. I’m afraid to take my camera outside as you have stated in your blog. I too am afraid of it damaging in some way.

We’ve just come out of a very cold snap. 7C here tonight which is good. but you have found beauty even in the chill Anna.
    Not as much beauty as in the gardening books I’ve been pouring over. I’m just not a winter person all cooped up in the house. I do have my fire roaring, the radio blasting, hot tea, and a warm snuggly blanket. If I could just turn up the sun all would be well. I want a sun thermostat.

9. VP says:

Brrrr that’s chilly, so a quick run round for us is just fine Anna!

I see we have some Heuchera in common as well as Violas. I had only 1 face to show after all our cold, so a big bowlful of them will have to wait until next Blooms Day.
    Mary Englebreit said—-Life is like a chair of bowlies. I love that saying. That is what I thought of when reading your reply.

I did run outside and nearly died. Even the trees are shivering.

10. Love the colors of your foliage. It is really cold everywhere today… what a bloom day.Your violas are sure to pick right back up in a few weeks. Stay warm and cozy in this winter cold.
    Meems @Hoe&Shovel
    I have a fire going and a good grilled cheese samich on my mind for supper tonight. I think a good bowl of tomato soup would be a nice side for such cold weather. That’s how I’m staying warm. Knowing NC, we’ll have the AC on next week.

11. Racquel says:

Thank goodness for Violas & Pansies in January! Of course the colorful foliage & texture in winter provides some interest too.
    My violas and pansies will probably look really good about the time the summer annuals are suppose to go in. I hate taking out perfectly good flowers but most of the time that ends up happening.

12. I double dog dare you to go out there! 🙂 I do hope you’re going to share your seed starting project. I have never, ever had success with it….sigh. I would love some instruction from you Anna 🙂

A Happy Thursday to you!
    Kathi 🙂
    Thank you and don’t know that I have ever done the same thing twice;) I did learn to put a fan in the room with the seeds. A slight breeze will help the stems grow strong. Otherwise, you’ll get spindly little seedlings and they will most likely be deformed.

I ran out to get the mail! Very cold and bitter breeze to boot. I did not freeze my tush off however as there is too much of it to dislodge.

13. Anna – the blooms in your post are so cheery – lovely to see.
    K
    Thank you and it pleases me too.

14. Cinj says:

I’m sure it probably feels pretty cold there compared to the 50’s that you’re used to, but after a few days like today temps as warm as you’ve got make me feel like breaking out the shorts! Okay maybe it should be around 30 before than happens. I refuse to go outside at all today. My pictures are all taken from the warmth of my house!
    I do know what that cold is like from our years in North Dakota. I was there 1978-1984 which are some of the coldest on record. I’ve seen wind-chills of 70 below. A little baby’s lungs will freeze in that kind of weather so we bundled them up and put a blanket over their head with them screaming and wailing out the wazoo. It was not fun to go out with babies from Oct-May.

When we were deciding where to retire after our AF years, we came back home where the cold is rare. If we get a snow here in NC, we enjoy it for the few hours it sticks around.