Chop, Chop, Chop

All summer long they bloomed and bloomed, never needed deadheading, were resistant to disease, and the deer didn’t like them. My beds are amended with lots of leaf mulch, Espoma Plant Tone and Rose Tone,  mushroom compost( at least a yr old), and fine bark chips where needed to break up the clay soil. The roots of this plant are very fiberous. They need loose well amended soil to thrive. They will grow to their mature height in one season. I rarely have a problem with aphids or other rose diseases. I have chosen not to use any pesticides or insectisides as the butterflies love my envy zinnias that grow near by.

The fist year these roses are planted they will most likely get top heavy. When that happens, I cut them back to about a foot above ground so they will bush out better. As you can see from the picture below. These got top heavy indeed.

When cool weather set in and  the perennials had been long removed except for that Whirling Butterflies Gaura to its right, I cut back the rose bushes back drastically. I guess that was around the first of Octoberish. Just yesterday, I snapped the pictures below and we’re already seeing new growth. We’ve had a mild winter and much needed rain in my Piedmont NC zone 7 garden. Take a look at the new shoots. Sometimes in a mild winter, I’ll get new blooms in March. It has even snowed on this rose with no worries. That’s my vegetable garden enclosed in the windows. It’s asleep right now.

100_5711

100_5707

The Knock Outs above are double reds and I also have Rainbow which I’m not too crazy about. Rainbow, in my garden, acts like a big ball on a stick. Imagine that if you will and then you’ll see how it flops too much. It is still pretty and covered in light pink blooms with orangish centers.  You can find more information on the Knock Outs and their many varieties at the Jackson and Perkins website here.

1. Marnie says:

Lovely, the color is really complimentary to the color of the house.
    Marnie
    Thank you. I plan on getting a few other colors this year too.

2. nancybond says:

Your roses are lovely, Anna, and there’s nothing like a good haircut to give a rose a lift. 😉
    I’ll go back and take another picture when they bush out. They seem to love their location.

3. Racquel says:

I love the knockouts, in fact I’m ordering a climber created by this family of roses. Thanks for the reminder, I will be cutting mine back next month.
    I want a climber. I was trying to find one last night. Where are you getting it from? I’m excited about the climber and hope it will measure up to the standards of the Knock Outs that came before it.

4. Sylvia (England) says:

Anna, your roses are lovely. Knockout roses don’t seem to be available here or have been renamed! You mention Espoma Plant Tone and Rose Tone, I assume the first contains Epsom salts but does the label say what is in the second? My roses suffer from black spot and I am always looking for new ideas. I do feed with well rotted manure and seaweed granules. I can’t keep up a two week regime of spraying!

Best wishes Sylvia (England)
    That’s too bad you can’t get Knock Outs. They will still get some disease but not enough to spoil the plant. You are correct that lots of fertilizers have salts to help the nutrients pass through the cell membranes. Too much salt and the plant cell collapse trying to level out water levels around it. So some salt is good. Espoma Products have trace minerals and usually only have to be applied once a year. Espoma Tomato Tone is highly sought after around here with the farmers claiming they grow the best tasting tomatoes when it is applied in the spring. Espoma has to be worked in to the soil well as it is organic and will mold and grow fungus on top of the soil.

Espoma products work better cause they have trace minerals that replenish the soil. It’s just like taking a vitamin. Regular fertilizers would be like you eating sugar..a quick rush but not any long lasting benefits. Fast growing annuals need both Espoma Flower Tone and a quick release fertilizer.

I control any black spot or yellow leaves by picking them off and throwing them in a trash bag. I don’t leave diseased leaves around the bottom of the plant. You know all that I’m sure. If non of that works then I decide I can’t grow that type of rose. Hybrid Tea roses won’t work for me and I find them too much maintenance.

5. linda says:

Hi Anna, I planted knockouts for a couple of clients last spring and they LOVED them. Wish I had more sun here. I always used to have roses in my perennial beds and I miss them.
    I feel the same way. I feel like they make order out of my mess. And they have a lot of punch power all summer long.

6. Kathi says:

This is exactly what I needed on a cold wintery day! I can’t wait for spring, your roses are stunning and I am excited to use all of your soils this spring!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. Have a wonderful weekend! 🙂
    That is exactly what I hoped for. I hoped my northern friends would like to see how the South is planning their Spring. I’m still planning and won’t stop for the rest of my life. I keep seeing things I want. I’m glad you stopped by to see the flowers today.

7. philip says:

Anna!
    You are on a roll! One incredible post after another. I have to say, you have had something to say: a voice.
    Well, Hi! I had so many things to say about all of your posts, but you move on to another wonderful thing. Whew! You are one of the most creative people I have ever known.
    🙂
    You know how to have fun!
    Congratulations on a superb blog, Flowergardengirl!
    🙂
    Philip
    I do move fast when I’m moving but when I get tired, I’ll slow down. Thank you for the kind words. I don’t mind if you don’t post on every topic but I do want to hear from my good friend often. You have grand long posts about the history of a garden and how it has impacted the area. I can see a good deal of work goes in to preparing them. The current post you did on the monks and the gardens they tend was beautiful. The boots and cubbies in the wall of their building was most interesting as it was so organized. Sometimes, I most admire how the person works as well as what they are growing. You always show both sides. You make it interesting.

8. greenwalks says:

I have no talent for roses, mine are all inherited from the previous gardener and have horrible black spot. Some may have to go to make room for raspberries! Yours look lovely, and I can’t believe you already have new growth! I didnt’ even get around to pruning mine in the fall – guess I’ll wait until daffodil time, like I think we’re supposed to in Seattle.
    I want to try some David Austin Roses this year as I have the best sunny location for them. I didn’t inherit anything here except clay soil. I won’t have it all prepared until next season cause in some places a cactus wouldn’t grow.

Lovely roses but you have fed them well and intelligently and they have responded to your tender loving care. I love roses. Envy you your mild winter, its harsh and cold here again today but no snow this far south.
    Thank you, and I am a little cautious about predicting no snow but it’s not looking very likely for us this year. Ok, by me! One year I was very brave and planted before Mother’s Day which is officially our last day of frost…officially by the locals, and I had the most grand display of flowers in my whole life. But other years….they got nipped badly. MrD is not fond of covering all the plants in the spring as they are numerous. So I am a grump head until I can get out and plant a mess of pretties for summer. My roses will be long blooming before the tender perennials and annuals show their colorful heads.