Chicks On A Cat’s Back

100_5738

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Some planters are favorites and this is certainly one of mine. She’s been everywhere. Some times she’s just sitting by my side door and past years she was inside another container arrangement. She’s a happy little thing and seems quite content to carry chicks around on her back.

100_5737She got her tail broke once and I did a real good job of reattaching it. She’s complained every since that I put on tails about as good as a two year old coloring inside the lines. But, she says she would rather have some tail than none at all. She is home to the chicks that turn a nice deep purple on the tops this time of year. I love the lime green and deep redish purple combination. Looks good with her soft peach coat.

100_5732

100_5743

I need to clean up the chicks a bit. Some years, clover gets in here and is a pain to pick out. I use my long tweezers to keep from getting pecked to death. There are in the family Sempervivums. It’s about the only thing that will grow in this container. There isn’t enough soil in the belly of the cat to nourish any showy annuals. I had Thyme in there once and it did pretty good. The plants above have done well for 4 years in the kitty. This may be the year I have to take a few and start the family over.

Here is what a hen looks like when its all puffed up during peak season. In winter, they get skinny.

100_5751

Then the sun set and the hens took their chicks to bed.

1. Kathi says:

There’s my kitty kat! I’ve never grown chicks and hens, perhaps I should try some this year 🙂
    That is your kitty kat and she’s protected from the cold there in the corner. The sun hits that spot and warms it up during the day. I don’t have to worry about the pot breaking cause it won’t freeze.

2. Robin says:

Hens and chicks are so photogenic, especially on a cats back!
    Especially on a cat’s back! You are the queen of picture taking though. No one could ever be in a bad mood at your blog. So many cool pictures to see. You could pipe in nature sounds and we’d be swatting at the bees cause they are so real from your camera to the blog.

3. Racquel says:

A really whimsical container Anna. Cute title today, lol.
    I have been light hearted lately since the days are getting shorter. These are the planning months.

4. VP says:

We have those planters over here too Anna! They always make me smile when I see them.

I enjoyed your trip over to my place and the story you wove over there. No nabs I’m afraid, but plenty of tea and coffee!

I think the English Darlington might be older than it’s new world buddy. This conversation could run and run 😉 Must get in the supplies right now ready for our next chat 🙂
    I wish I had a few more of those planters as the little place where I got them sold out quickly. Now several folks want one.

Yes, we could go on and on.

5. Philip says:

That is a wonderful planter. She looks very have to carry her chicks, and have a tail!
    🙂
    Philip
    She’s happy and purrs all the time.

or even What – oops, cold here!It’s cold here too but probably won’t stay that way. Then we’ll get a foot of snow in March. When I was a little girl it snowed every Wednesday in March. I don’t remember what year but I do remember school was out forever.

Wat a great title – wasn’t sure what to expect (lol). As a cat lover this looks great to me.
    I do think of a ton of funny stuff as I write. I’m about due on another silly tale on something good. I’ll think on it.