How About A Spring Autumn?

This is a strange Autumn in NC. Look at these pictures and you’ll see for yourself. They were all taken this weekend in my backyard. Usually, Trees all start to change at the same time due to the time of year and certain weather conditions. Unfortunately, we had rain at the wrong time.

When this happens, chlorophyll which is green gets stuck in the leaf. The green is dominate and hides the other pretty colors. This causes leaves to turn brown at first frost and fall right off the tree before ever turning.  What isn’t explained this year is how one tree right beside another will be so far along changing color. Those trees that are changing really popped this week when we had temps that dipped in to the 30s.

Dave over at The Home Garden  is hosting a garden bloggers Fall Project. I didn’t think we were gong to have much color so I did a post about the Shenandoah Valley Atutumn trip that I took last year and a few of our poor skimpy color here in NC for this year. But this weekend’s burst of color has me reposting to say–Autumn arrived this weekend with the first frost. Now we have color!

Please enjoy!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1. Oh Anna, those are some awesome pictures! I just love the colors of fall..they are almost gone here…soon it will be snow! Thank you for the lovely pictures! 🙂

I’m amazed at them too. It was looking bleak forever. We usually have our best color in October. I was so afraid we would have a freaky cold snap and pull them right off the tree. It has happened.

2. deb says:

Anna, You have a lot more fall color than we do. Then again, we don’t get much fall color unless you count different shades of brown. Glad to see you blogging again.

Debbi.

Thank you! I say during my blog problems that I will not transfer another blog–and then I can’t stand it! I would be a nut case if I couldn’t show you the beauty here. And again today, I took more pictures! We went from a dull and drab Autumn to one of the prettiest I’ve ever seen. I know the cool weather helped a lot—but it was looking like another year like you described—dull brown. I was going to go through major depression.

Anna, We both seem to love the golden leaves of autumn and that fantastic blue sky! Thank you for sharing these lovely colors with us…I for one can’t get enough gold and blue! gail

Me too! I love the Autumn colors mixed with blue. My Christmas tree is like that–blues and earth tones. I seem to be an Autumn gal.

4. Racquel says:

It looks like fall has come come in with a bang in NC! Your foliage is gorgeous with the variety of yellows, coppers, & reds.

They literally turned over one weekend. I looked out today and some of the very green leaves are starting to turn too. I’ve never seen such an odd year. It has to be the drought. We had almost no rain all summer and then a big rain in October. Trees don’t turn well when that happens. Now that we’ve had some good cold weather, it’s starting to happen. I just love it! I wish I could bring all that color in my house.

5. Camellia says:

Now, that was a serious dose of autumn. Lovely colours! Best of all, when all those leaves have come down, you can wade in them, enjoying that fluffy sound that only knee-high piles of autumn leaves can make.

Have a great day!

greetings from a not quite so yellow south England
    /Camellia

I’m looking forward to the compost they will make. We’ve been mulch mowing since we moved in this April as far as the grass goes–but now we have these wonderful leaves falling. The worms are going to be so happy.

6. Cindy says:

Great photos! I love the juniper berries.

Those are cedar berries but I’m sure they look just the same. I should have taken a wide shot of the whole tree. I love that color blue.

7. Cinj says:

I love the rich fall colors. That golden yellow is really gorgeous, reminds me of one of the colors I dye my easter eggs with!

I can see what you mean about Easter eggs. That yellow is one of the dyes. I might just try my eggs this year in fall colors. I almost picked up a set of Autumn dyes from the grocery store this week. An egg done in that yellow green would be pretty. Now you have me excited about Easter.

8. Sylvia (England) says:

Anna, the mix of autumn is always different. This year we have some beautiful colours – the best I have seen for a long time. I drive along some roads planted with beautiful trees every morning, I really appreciate the lovely colours but by the time I go home it is too dark to enjoy them.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

I love those roads that are covered in a blanket of leaves. It’s magical! Just since Saturday–the rest of the leaves are turning. We’ve had 3 nights of cold weather so maybe that was all it needed. I was about to get upset that we wouldn’t have color this year.

9. Shibaguyz says:

Great pictures! Looks like you could just fall right into them.

If it wasn’t for all the acorns, I probably would take a running jump and dive in. It will be good leaf mulch in the spring.

10. It’s like a big firework. / LOL Tyra

Tyra, your blog is spectacular. Love the rose hips. Thanks for coming to my fall extravaganza. Seems like everything is turning over night. Maybe we just needed a lot of cold weather.