You Haven’t Seen Pottery Like This!

Freechild Studio—see more below

The North Carolina Pottery Center is located in Seagrove, North Carolina. The history of pottery making and exhibits are housed in this beautiful facility. North Carolina clay soil from the mountains to the sea set this heritage in motion  beginning with the natives who were the first to inhabit this area. The center showcases both modern and old style pottery. Both are still being made today.

Currently, the center is holding a fundraiser and many artist have donated their work for the cause. If you would like to own a piece of NC pottery history old or new, please support the fundraiser. There is an auction of the pieces offered. Please see the site below for more information.

North Carolina Pottery Center Fundraiser

Fundraising Auction of North Carolina Pottery

to benefit the North Carolina Pottery Center

On Sunday, September 28, 2008, at 2 PM, in Hillsborough, NC, there will be a Fundraising Auction of North Carolina pottery to benefit the North Carolina Pottery Center, hosted by Leland Little Auction & Estate Sales, Ltd., featuring the legendary collection of Art Ware pottery of Dr. Everette James, as well as Catawba Valley pottery, Eastern Piedmont salt-glaze, and other Art Ware pots donated by many well-known collectors and potters from across the state.

Leland Little Auction & Estates Sale

case the remarkable history and on-going tradition of pottery making in North Carolina

Freechild Studio

German Wedding Plate, New Salem Pottery

Above   Anne Raven Jorgenson

You are right, I haven’t seen pottery like this before. It is delightful, I am especially fond of the AR Jorgenson critter! Thank you for introducing me to these works of art!

*** I hope to get some great pictures when I go. All these little potteriers are within a couple of miles of each other.A great day trip.

2. The end of September usually has me making my Mom’s recipe, Maple Apple Jam, it’s better than apple butter! It’s probably my all time favorite, I ran out a long, long time ago and can’t wait 🙂 I’ll let you know when it’s ready.

How’s your canning going? Salsa and tomatoes put up yet? 🙂

** got a couple of gallon bags of maters in the freezer…then I got sick of maters. I’ll do more next year if we run out. The Maple Apple Jam sounds very good. Apples are suppose to be good this year so I’m hoping to make some jelly.

3. deb says:

I am in love with the dragonfly plates. Very pretty

4. cindee11461 says:

wow pretty and colorful!!!

5. Eve says:

I love that. I have one of their vases. I am a potter, handbuilt, but I don’t do so much any more. I don’t have the strength in my hands to wedge the clay properly. I would love to see more of those.

My favorite potter is a Gulf Coast potter named George Ohr, known as the mad potter of Biloxi MS. We dug up some clay from the same place, that he probably used in his work. His work is wild and wonderful.

** I’m so glad you shared your story about being a potter. I can see how it would be very difficult to work the clay. When you visit the potteries in Seagrove, you can see them laboring away at the potter’s wheel. I understand it isn’t something you pick up easily. It has to come with practice.

The George Ohr pottery is very modern. Looks like he has some pretty complicated glazes also. I admire his work.

6. Karrita says:

Hi Anna~
    I love those dragonfly plates the art and glazing on them is exquisite.I make ceramic garden art and am a new member of Blotanical group checking out all these cool blogs.

Karrita

** Hi Karrita and welcome to my blog. I read your profile on blotanical and look forward to visiting your blog to see some of your art. I love that you honored your mom and gave her credit for your love of gardening.

7. Joy says:

Anna … the pottery is simply stunning ! I have a weakness for pieces like those .. they are so vivid .. so pretty .. perfect for decorating a kitchen with !
    You have posted with pottery lots of times and I do appreciate seeing such unique styles. Good thing I don’t live closer .. my house would be bursting with them ! LOL
    Joy

** I do live too close. I love too close to lots of neat stuff. If my pocketbook would just keep up! I do collect the minitures. They are tucked away in a corner shelf. I’m torn between the vivid colors and the New Salem browns and earth tones. The earth tones go more with my kitchen.

8. Cinj says:

Wow, that’s gorgeous! I wish I had some extra cash to buy some of those beauties. It looks like the fundraiser should be a tremendous success!

** I hope it does well for them. The center needs the money to keep going. I try not to go down to Seagrove more than twice a year. I want too much.

9. Beautiful pottery! I love your new apple header! This morning it finally cooled down, it’s currently 49 here. Fall is coming quickly, I was looking at mum’s this morning and thinking I need to get outside and get busy :).

Have a Wonderful Wednesday Anna!
    Hugs,
    Kathi 🙂

*** And a Wonderful Wednesday to you too. I knew you would like the header. It is so fall isn’t it? So will you be making apple butter and jelly?

10. pgl says:

Beautiful pottery Anna. I’ve never seen anything like it, it’s very unique & creative.

*** Some of the new techniques are very complicated. It’s a science and art. Most of the potteries have 3rd and 4th generation potters operating their kilns. Several have gone off to college to study and made the popularity of the art grow. I’m fascinated by it.

11. We were in North Carolina a couple of years ago and guess what? I came home with lots of pottery. 🙂 This is a happy reminder of a wonderful visit there.

*** Did I ever tell you that I lived in Oak Ridge for a year when my husband first got out of the AF. We moved because we bought a business elsewhere. But I sure loved that area. My husband’s uncle is a famous NC whittler. His name is T Henry. He studied under Alex Stewart. T travels to most of the Southern Highland Craft Fairs. A love of any original to this area is passed down the family. So glad to hear you have NC pottery.

Do you remember the name of the pottery? Lots of people buy Cagle Road pottery when passing through. Look on the bottom of your pieces and tell me who it is from. And didn’t you find the shops quaint? I love how they are mostly in little log cabins with picnic tables set up for relaxing. We usually take a picnic lunch and take time to stop off to take a rest under the big pine trees.