Can you remember how many days are in August? Do you know what number it is cause I bet you know that March is the 3rd month and December is 12th. It’s 31 days and the 8th month so you don’t go crazy or don’t know the rhyme. The Olympics start this month on day 8. In common years, no other month starts on the same day of the week as August but in leap year February does.This is the month that starts harvest. Before grocery stores and fresh markets, the store houses were emptying and people were starving by the end of July. They welcomed August as the month to replenish and were thankful.
From my garden—-Chicken Eggplant Medley
Directions—dump everything in a pan and cook till tender. I added salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.
The Bouquet is from my flower garden.
This is National Elvis Tribute Week. What are you doing for him? Kids are going back to school and sports practices start. The school band will be training new members and by the end of August it will hopefully harmonize. The Pro Football Hall of Fame kicks off football season. It’s National Immunizations Month. Are you going to the Edinburg Arts Festival? I’m just going to sit down and ring in the month of harvest–well–with a fibrous diet.
Served with Mac N Cheese. Sweet tea too of course.
Napoleon Bonaparte was born in 1769. Hawaii became the 50th state in 1959. I will have tomatoes from my garden.
Martha Stewart was born on August 3rd. Martha has organized my house many times and she would be proud of my dinner table tonight.
Marilyn Monroe died and my father never got over it. Mom fixed him dinner. I had chocolate.
August 4, 1944 Anne Frank was found by the Germans. I read her book and have never gotten over it. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed in 1945 and it brought about the end of WW2. WW1 started and August is the month that Iraq invaded Kuwait. So remember to be thankful and hug your loved ones.
Happy August to you all. I wish for you peace and a bountiful harvest from your vegetable gardens or your flower gardens. I wish for you love and contentment. I wish for you to take some of these tomatoes.
- In Swedish, the month is named augusti, literally plural of the Latin augustus – “the venerable”.
- In Finnish, the month is called elokuu, meaning “month of reaping” or literally, “month of life”.
- In Irish, August is known as Lúnasa, a modern rendition of Lughnasadh, from the god Lugh.The first Monday in August is a holiday in the Republic of Ireland.
- In Polish, the month is called sierpień, meaning “month of sickle”.
- In French, the month is called août.
- In Portuguese, Spanish and Italian, the month is called agosto.
- In Japanese, the month is called hachigatsu (八月), meaning, simply, “eighth month.”
- In Russian, the month is called Avgust (Авгуcт)
- In Greek, the month is called Augoustos (Αύγουστος’)
- In Dutch, the month is called Augustus
- In Latvian, the month is called Augusts
- In Lithuanian, the month is called rugpjūtis
- In Welsh, the month is called Awst
- In Croatian, the month is called kolovoz