A Quaint Little Shop

The Last Straw of Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Fitting that it is the last post in my picture tour of this little town! Don’t you wish you could go inside? I can tell you that it’s beautiful with many classy silk floral arrangements, birdhouses, lotions, candles, vases, and many more decorating items. But I think it’s being a bit forward to display their hard work on the Internet. I respect their privacy and will just show you what beauty has been displayed outside.

I love anything Red, White, and Blue

And, I like anything with bunnies…especially these!

I love yellow and red together.

Anything in a watering can goes home with me.

There were birdhouses on the front lawn. That lady knew I was taking a picture. ERR.

The two pictures above are the side gardens.

The roof-line over the atrium of the little shop.

This is where the husbands park while the wives cruise around inside. I hope you have enjoyed the picture tour of Blowing Rock, North Carolina. The next post is about the artwork of Teresa Pennington. Over the weekend, I’m going to Tanglewood Park and take updated photos of their gardens. You last saw them two months ago when everything was just planted. It should be a real treat now.

1. Sylvia says:

Have another chuckle Anna, I have often seen “lol” on blogs and wondered what its meaning was. Today I looked it up (googled it) and laughed out loud! Do you use the expression or abbreviation in conversation or just written down? Hope you don’t mind me asking. Best wishes Sylvia
    ***I had to look it up too when I firs started using the puter and blogging. It is only used in written communication for blogs, pm’s, twitter—you know, just the social putering stuff. It would not look good if it was written in a report or documented type correspondence. So, it’s just a fun thing. Did that make sense? Hope you have a great week.

2. Thank you for taking us on this tour. I love your photos, and I confess I love anything Bob Timberlake. Living in a cabin, I have quite a few of his things. Thanks, Anna.~~Dee****I wish I could afford more;) I’m glad you liked the whole tour. There are lots more gardens to cover and so little time–hehehe. I got nothing but time.

3. Sylvia says:

Thanks for your help with understanding your location and climate, it sounds very similar to here. The US zones, in my opinion, don’t work in the UK as they don’t take into account our cooler summers and dark winter nights. According to one list I live in a Zone 9! In reality it is just a mixture which can make it hard for our USA friends, who use the Zone’s so frequently, to understand. As a gardener we all know that plants have minds of their own!

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

*** So true Sylvia and as I said my own garden is not the same zone–lol. You have to study your yard and different locations within it to figure out what will grow where. A true gardener knows that nothing can be assumed.

4. deb says:

What a cute shop.

5. Cinj says:

Don’t you just hate it when people are inconsiderate? That happens to me a lot, people know you’re taking a picture and walk through anyway because they’re in a hurry and are much too important to pause for a couple of seconds. Seriuosly!*** I do hate it. There are so many people up at Blowing Rock that it was hard for me to get a shot with no one in it.

6. What a precious little shop, I have so enjoyed your tour of Blowing Rock…it’s beautiful there. You must have made a full day out of your trip :)*** We did and when Art In The Park is there it’s even more fun. I’m so glad you enjoyed the tour. It’s my favorite town so you’ll be seeing a lot of it.

7. cindee says:

Another fun visit!!! I love your tours!!!(-: The Last Straw looks like a great place to go(-: And there are my chairs in the last picture.(-: I wish they were not so expensive to buy. I would love a whole setting of that furniture. Its so country-ish!!!!
    ***Glad you liked it. I’ve seen those chairs with all kinds of price ranges. it depends on the wood and who is making them. I want some too.

8. Love those chairs in the last photo. But I love rustic furniture especially in the garden. Thanks for the tour of Blowing Rock. What a quaint little town. ** I was glad to have you along for the show. It’s going to look even better in the fall. Hey..that’s not too far away.

9. ChrisND says:

Thanks for commenting on my garden post! I like your tour of Blowing Rock…it was great to read the story of how the area was named- almost like Romeo and Juliet but with a happy ending. Now if I ever get to NC..
    *** You are welcome–and hey..I was wondering if your header is the garden where you grow your flowers and vegetables? It was so interesting with all the different things to hold vines up and birdhouses–etc. You are very witty and have a wonderful blog. It was nice to be there.

10. Nancy Bond says:

LOVE the photos of the bouquets in the watering cans! It certainly does look like a quaint little shop and a place I could happily browse. Those chairs look very inviting, too. 🙂
    *** It is peaceful and inviting to shop anywhere in this little town. You can walk from one end to the other in no time. It’s very pretty at Christmas too when there are Dickens carolers stationed about spreading cheer and goodwill. Of course I’m taking more pics then too and we’ll all be wrapped in our festive attire.

11. Sylvia says:

Good morning Anna (or good night to you!). what some lovely pictures, beautiful garden are often found when least expected. I have enjoyed your tour of this town is it very far away from you? My geography of the USA is getting better through blogging but it was almost none existent to start with! What fascinates me is what does and doesn’t grow in the different climates.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)
    ***It’s about 1pm here right now and I’ve gotten all my morning chores done so I”m putering. I cooked lunch for my son and husband. Sometimes they stop by looking for handouts and today I was ready. Neither works far from our house.

Most of NC is zone 7 but there are little micro climate areas in all parts. I had a rock garden in front of my old house and it would let zone 8 plants survive. I live in the middle western part of the state. NC is a very long state running east to west. It is on the east coast of the US and about half way between NY and Florida. We have 100 counties some in the mountains and some by the sea. We rarely get snow where I’m located but an hour north where Blowing Rock is located–they get quite a bit. You rise in elevation steadily as you travel in that direction. I’m from here and wanted to return after my husband retired from the Air Force.

If we have a good summer with not too many temp spikes and sudden frost in October, then my growing season runs April to November. And then even sometimes through the winter months, I’m able to go out and sit on my swing with a sweater on. Then again—there are bitter cold days usually in January and February. So it’s short lived. I think it’s nice to be able to experience the season changes. Fall is my favorite and our trees are stunning.