The Azalea Garden Inn of Blowing Rock, NC

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

I met Jimmie Knoll this weekend while wandering around her perfectly manicured gardens of the Azalea Garden Inn in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Jimmie and her husband Hank have done an amazing job turning this little cottage Inn in to a masterpiece for relaxing and gazing out onto the beautifully themed gardens. I have visited this garden in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. My favorite is fall with all the pumpkins and fall flowers. She and her husband are the most gracious folks you will ever meet. Jimmie uses several Proven Winners plants in her beds and containers.

This quaint Inn sits on one and one half acres chock full of perennials and annuals. This is a type of motel that was popular from the 30s to the 50s and due to the efforts of the Knoll’s has become popular again today. They have kept the charm and multiplied it in so many ways. There is a patio on the street side of the Inn with fresh soda and assorted drinks. It’s a gathering place for guest with a lattice style covering and rocking chairs. Jimmie’s containers are filled with attractive plants and trinkets that reflect the red and white theme she chose for this year. Every time I visit there is a new theme with fresh chair covers and cushions making it so inviting. The gardens just off the patio are equally as breathtaking. See for yourself—

See the whole slide showHERE at my photobucket site.

AZALEA GARDEN INN
Located on North Main St.  on 1 1/2 acres of award winning gardens with decks, covered solarium, streams and waterwheel. Efficiency log cabin with natural fireplace. Spacious attractive guest rooms, each individually decorated. Within walking distance of restaurants, shopping and attractions. The Inn is open April-October.
Hank and Jimmie Knoll.
Info above was taken from–
blowing-rock-204
In the middle of the semi-circle driveway is the log cabin and majority of the gardens Jimmie meticulously cares and attends. You can rent the one bedroom full kitchen cabin. It has this porch which faces the row of rooms belonging to the Inn and there is a front porch which looks out over the main road in to Blowing Rock. The little Inn sits within walking distance of the center of town and many wonderful shops and restaurants.
blowing-rock-229
This main garden area deck is for sitting and enjoying the company of friends or meeting other guest from all over. While sitting surrounded by the beauty that Jimmie and Hank created, play a game of checkers!
blowing-rock-225
blowing-rock-192
It’s a must that you take the time to walk the entire setting. There is something behind and around every corner.
blowing-rock-244
Please see my sidebar for additional photos I took of this Inn and its gardens.

1. Cindy Dyer says:

Hi Anna!

Thanks for the comment on my blog (www.gardenmuse.wordpress.com). I love your photos of the bunnies!

Where did you get that one large planter that looks like a circle of bunnies holding up a huge bouquet of wildflowers? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have one of those! And I have a friend who is as bunny crazy as you are and she would love that, too. Is it available in North Carolina?

Happy gardening!

Cindy (www.cindydyer.wordpress.com)
    *** Cindy—I got that on my recent trip to Blowing Rock, NC at a place called–The Last Straw. They have a online shopping at:

( I just found it on their site–http://thelaststrawinc.com/index.php?cPath=44_100 )

Feel free to copy my picture and see if you can email them for it. They had several when I was there. I don’t remember how much I paid for it cause I was buying a lot of stuff. Have fun looking, they have a pretty site.
    Glad you enjoyed my blog!

2. Jan says:

Yes, AnnA, we have been to Art in the Park and loved it. We would stay for a week when we went there, and I know what you mean about the weekends. Weekdays were better. I know the area around Blowing Rock has changed (it was growing and changing the last few years we went), but the town looks the same. We used to enjoy going in to Boone and browsing the bookstores around ASU. I’m sure that has changed also. If we make it next year, I’ll let you know.
    *** Seems like to me—they are all changes for the better. More NCers are staying home due to gas prices and that area has always been a vacation destination. Now the town of Boone and Blowing Rock is taking it more seriously. They are trying hard to make it look good.

3. cindee says:

How beautiful!!! I would love to visit there. I love willow furniture and have always wanted some. I love the little corner wood thing with the birdhouses too!!!!
    *** I love Willow furniture too. On the way back from Blowing Rock, we passed a place that had it and I wanted to stop—but dh had just bought me a beautiful print. I think that would have been pushing it.

4. Your posting brings back such great memories. In the 80′ & 90’s we would vacation every summer in Blowing Rock. We just loved it. It is so nice to see that these gardens did not change and look just as nice now. We have been talking about going back to Blowing Rock for a vacation, and, after seeing your photos, I just think that next year that is the place we will be going.

Jan
    Always Growing
    ** and you better let me know so we can meet up for a few hours—maybe you can even come my way! I’m only a hop, skip, and jump down the road. I’m glad it brought back good memories. I’ve been going there all my life. I have seen some big changes in that length of time. 421 leading in to Boone is now 4 lane all the way and Appalachian State is huge. That is neat that you vacationed there. Did you go to Art In The Park? It’s held one weekend a month thru the summer. It’s extremly crowded and I prefer to go visit on week days. It’s just as pretty and no crowd.

5. Cindy T. says:

Anna, I enjoyed my tour of the inn … love all the yard art. Thank you for taking the time to share your visit there with us!

Linda at Meadowview Thymes tagged me recently and I’ve chosen you as one of my six taggees! My post is at http://texascottagegarden.blogspot.com/2008/07/very-short-sunday-stroll-lets-play-tag.html
    ***Okey dokey—I’ll be over as soon as I get caught up on replies today. I like to answer each one personally. So thank you for stopping by and thinking of me. Glad you enjoyed the tour.

6. Nancy Bond says:

How absolutely quaint! Love it.
    **** If I could afford it–I’d have a home there too!

7. deb says:

Great pictures. The inn looks like a wonderful place to visit.

8. I’m in horrible pain….STOP it! I can hardly stand not buying a plane ticket right now….I need to start saving up for a trip! Beautiful Inn, I’m heading to their website right now. 🙂
    ****It’s meant to put you in pain==lol. They are working on their website and will have it finished this week or next. I have been going up there for years asking them to put up a website and I guess they just get so much business they didn’t need one. Seems like they are always booked solid and especially during Art In The Park. But finally even technology has caught up with them. I will be glad to link to them when the time comes.

9. Donna says:

This place would steal any gardeners heart.
    ** I know, isn’t it the truth!! I can hardly stay away. And when we go—I get too many new ideas.

10. I love that little town. So charming, the rustic cabins and the wicker chairs etc…what a lovely place to relax and unwind.
    ***I’m going back in just a couple of weeks to pick up my print. I could go every weekend.

11. Amy says:

Hello Anna – thanks so much for visiting my blog today and taking the time to comment. This Inn is just delightful – what a lovely place to visit and relax. Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful photos.
    **Thank you and I’ll be back to see you—your blog is beautiful. I’m very happy to share my travels to the places in NC that I love.