Remember this 100 year old house? Someone gave it too me so I can use the parts for whatever. I just had to move it!
See that pile of bricks on the second floor? I went up there today and got them. I also disassembled the second fireplace you see on the front right corner. It was super hard. You had to work in a pattern. Talk about heavy.
The brick is handmade and solid.
The flooring in the house is not stable and I was sitting on mostly open rafters with nice little hand forged nails sticking in my rear. It was really pleasant.
I arrived about 1pm and worked till 3ish by myself—hoping MrD would show up. When I left our house he was sleeping. I left him a note that said—-I’ve gone to get the brick. I took his truck, a ladder, and a sledge hammer. He showed up at 3 and worked with me till 7ish. I was so relieved. We’re about 1/4 done removing the brick and bringing them to our house.
The owner of this house lives on the property and is going to get a backhoe to help remove the roof so we can get to the fireplace on the two story side. Hopefully he’ll also knock it down. Much easier— even though it does break a few in the process. We are breaking them anyway as some are very brittle. It just happens.
The bricks on the second floor are leftovers from the roof knock down. One of the neighbors took a few but I’ve been promised the rest. I tried to use the same process on that two story fireplace as I did on the second smaller one in the corner but it was a no go. The mortar is stronger. There are a bunch of brick under the roofs that are laying on the ground.
This little farm house is located on a beautiful horse farm out in the country. It’s about 10 minutes from my home. The owner and I are testing a new organic soy growing juice. So far, the results are very impressive. Soon as I can market that product—I’ll introduce it to you. You’ll be shocked at the results. It gets rid of moles too! Do you have a shrub that is looking a bit tired? Just you wait and see what I have up my sleeve. Cutting edge technology!
The little fireplace in the corner did come down and we hauled most of that brick out back to Copper Top Cottage. There will be a patio for the shed and then little walkways running through the back beds. The walkways and patio will have a sand base with the brick on top.
I can’t imagine what kind of savings this is. I’ve never priced solid 100 year old brick. But I’m thinking it’s a gold mine and worth the effort to get them moved.
Let me tell you though—-the brick fronts that were facing the interior of the room were covered in a 2″ layer of the best plaster on earth. Numerous bangs with a sledgehammer is needed to get to the brick. It’s a slow process cause if you bang too hard you break the brick in half. I’m 5’4″ tall and standing on a ladder swinging one of those hand held mini sledgehammers over my head. It was nice to get the whole process to at least an un-ladder level. My arms are in ache mode.
Once you knocked off the plaster, there was figuring out which brick was loose enough to dislodge. I got pretty good at it. You’ll never get them dislodged in once piece of you don’t develop a pattern.
Copper Top Cottage:
I still have to pick out the outside paint color for Copper Top, paint the inside, paint the gecko leaf pattern on the floor, put up the lace curtains, put up the old window cabinets, and so much more. Many of you thought this project would be done ages ago. My projects tend to grow but be worth it in the end. Stay tuned.